2012 Mustang Cobra Jet specs leaked online
Ford made history in 2008 when it unveiled the Mustang Cobra Jet at SEMA. Available directly from the Ford Racing catalog, the Cobra Jet was built specifically to race in the NHRA Stock Eliminator class and was virtually a turnkey drag car. In 2010 Ford upgraded the Cobra Jet significantly, offering a launch control/rev limiter system, new optional transmissions, various supercharger options, and even an aluminum block. Now for 2012 it looks like Ford Racing will be giving the Cobra Jet yet another upgrade thanks to some leaked specifications from a Ford dealer in Puerto Rico.
The revised 5.4L supercharged engine now features a standard aluminum block with Manley H-beam rods. The 2012 Cobra Jet also gets upgraded brakes and rear suspension, new spring rates both front and rear, and new black anodized wheels from Weld Racing. Three new colors are now available including Race Red, Grabber Blue and Winner White. Finally, a Whipple 4.0L supercharger will be optional that will make the Cobra Jet capable of 8 second time slips. You can see the full list of revisions and specifications for the 2012 Mustang Cobra Jet below:
New for 2012 Model Year:
- Revised 5.4L supercharged engine – different specifications/rating than 2008/2010 model
- Aluminum engine block
- Double keyed crankshaft snout
- Manley H-beam rods
- Improved low-drag racing brakes – Strange Engineering
- Improved rear suspension w/revised rear upper control arm and lower control arm mounts
- Revised and optimized spring rates front and rear
- New design black anodized Cobra Jet wheels – Weld Racing
- Goodyear tires – all new DR compound – Cobra Jet branded
- Brake pedal 2-step switch (micro)
- Optional colors – Race Red, Grabber Blue, and Winner White – no additional charge
- 430hp 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine (aluminum block)
- 2.3L TVS Supercharger with twin 65mm dual bore throttle body
- 3-Speed C4 Auto Race Transmission – Joel’s on Joy
- 9″ rear axle w/4.29:1 Axle Ratio – Strange Engineering
- NHRA Stock Eliminator legal interior
- 8.50et NHRA certified roll cage
- Estimated weight of 3,200 lbs
- Cobra Jet trim and appearance package
- Drag race wheel/tire combination (Rear Tire 30.0 x 9.0)
- Cobra Jet spring/adjustable damper tuning
- Light-weight, low-drag brakes (manual)
- Red (M-FR500-CJ12R)
- Grabber Blue (M-FR500-CJ12B)
- Winner White (M-FR500-CJ12W)
Optional Graphics Package:
- MSRP: $1,995.00
- Includes: Powered-By-Ford fender emblems, Sweeping Snake side graphics, 5.4 Cobra Jet hood graphics, Ford Racing windshield header decal, Ford oval front fascia decals, Ford oval license plate decal, FR500CJ decklid decal.
- Optional graphics may be unique to Cobra Jet body color.
Optional 4.0L Supercharger upgrade – M-6066-SCJ:
- MSRP: $9,995.00
- Step up to the most powerful combination in NHRA Super Stock. The 500hp 4.0L supercharged 2010 Cobra Jet has delivered mid-8 et’s, Class champions, divisional race winners and national records all in its first year on track!
- Ford Racing offers their exclusive upgrade kit to the base 2012 Cobra Jet for the racer looking to perform at the highest levels of NHRA Super Stock Competition.
- Kit includes supercharger, billet throttle-body, complete inlet system with 140mm billet mass-air housing, installation instructions, and exclusive Ford Racing race-ready calibration.
- Final horsepower rating TBD, rating will differ from 500hp 2010 model.
- 4.0L Supercharger upgrade is delivered separately and must be installed by the end user.
[Source: MicasaFord.com via MustangHeaven.com]
- Ford launches 2012 Mustang configurator online
- 2012 Mustang selected as one of NADAguides 'recommended buys'
- 2012 Ford Mustang and Shelby GT500 order guides reveal new colors, features
- Mustang Club of America Edition back for 2012
- 2012 Mustang to get SYNC AppLink
- Ford issues recall for some 2012-2013 Mustangs for reverse gear problems
- Ford to give away 2012 Mustang 5.0 with Ford Racing parts
- Automobile Magazine features the 2012 Boss 302 and the 10 greatest Mustangs ever
- 2012 Mustang Boss 302 buyers to get complimentary track day
- Mustang customizer now available for mobile devices