Motor Trend names the 2011 Mustang GT as one the most impressive cars of 2010
Motor Trend tested more than 200 vehicles in 2010, and needless to say, they were more impressed with some than others. While the magazine’s “Car of the Year” was announced a few months back, they wanted to recognize some of the other cars that made the biggest impression. On their blog Motor Trend writes, “sometimes, a vehicle does something special. It stands out in ways we don’t anticipate. They exceed our expectations. They surprise and delight us with their ability. They stick with us and become topics of discussion over dinner or at the office. They become more than a car. Eventually, they turn into benchmark.” The 2011 Mustang GT was one of those cars.
The comparison test with the BMW M3 was the main source of awe for Ford’s pony car. Despite technically losing to its European counterpart, the 2011 Mustang came away the true winner by matching the Bimmer’s performance despite costing nearly $27,000 less. Motor Trend says about the test:
On the outset, the thought of comparing a Mustang to a M3 elicited confused shock. But then we tested the two, and things became simply bewildering. The Mustang narrowly bested the M3 in every performance metric. It passed the quarter mile mark 0.1 second faster. It stopped from 60 mph two feet shorter. Its average lateral acceleration was 0.01 g higher. Its Figure Eight was lap time 0.2 second faster. It was only around Streets of Willow raceway, where we enlisted pro racer Randy Pobst to eke the last tenth from both contenders, that the M3 carried an advantage — by 0.09 second. And the Mustang’s as-tested price? $40,275. The only thing we couldn’t measure was the ego bruising.
You can read the full story over at Motor Trend.
- Motor Trend crowns the 2011 Mustang the V6 ponycar king
- 2011 Ford Mustang named as one of Automobile Magazine's All-Stars
- Hagerty names Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca as one of 2012's top ten future classics
- Consumer Reports names 2012 Ford Mustang GT as top pick in sporty car category
- 2012 Mustang Boss 302 receives MotorWeek's "Best of the Year" Drivers' Choice Award
- The Mustang Boss 302's 5.0L V8 named to Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2012
- Consumer Reports names 2011 Ford Mustang as top sporty car
- J.D. Power names Ford Mustang as the most dependable car in its class
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000