Motor Trend names the 2011 Mustang GT as one the most impressive cars of 2010
Motor Trend tested more than 200 vehicles in 2010, and needless to say, they were more impressed with some than others. While the magazine’s “Car of the Year” was announced a few months back, they wanted to recognize some of the other cars that made the biggest impression. On their blog Motor Trend writes, “sometimes, a vehicle does something special. It stands out in ways we don’t anticipate. They exceed our expectations. They surprise and delight us with their ability. They stick with us and become topics of discussion over dinner or at the office. They become more than a car. Eventually, they turn into benchmark.” The 2011 Mustang GT was one of those cars.
The comparison test with the BMW M3 was the main source of awe for Ford’s pony car. Despite technically losing to its European counterpart, the 2011 Mustang came away the true winner by matching the Bimmer’s performance despite costing nearly $27,000 less. Motor Trend says about the test:
On the outset, the thought of comparing a Mustang to a M3 elicited confused shock. But then we tested the two, and things became simply bewildering. The Mustang narrowly bested the M3 in every performance metric. It passed the quarter mile mark 0.1 second faster. It stopped from 60 mph two feet shorter. Its average lateral acceleration was 0.01 g higher. Its Figure Eight was lap time 0.2 second faster. It was only around Streets of Willow raceway, where we enlisted pro racer Randy Pobst to eke the last tenth from both contenders, that the M3 carried an advantage — by 0.09 second. And the Mustang’s as-tested price? $40,275. The only thing we couldn’t measure was the ego bruising.
You can read the full story over at Motor Trend.
- Video: Motortrend pits the 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 against the BMW M3
- Video: Flowmaster features its new Hushpower cat-back exhaust system for the 2011 Mustang 5.0
- Video: JPC Racing's 802 rwhp 2011 Mustang hits the dyno
- New Product: Brenspeed Power Packages add up to 72 horsepower to the 2011 Mustang 5.0
- 5.0L Mustang V8 crate engines available from Ford Racing starting August 15th
- AIRAID unveils its new cold air intake system for the 2011 Mustang 5.0
- New Product: Bassani long tube headers for the 2011 Mustang GT
- SilverHorse Racing releases Tru-Billet 5.0 fuel door for the 2011 Mustang GT
- New Product: ACT announces new twin-disc clutches for the 2011 Mustang
- Ford Mustang the most searched new car of 2010 on AutoTrader.com