Vaughn Gittin Jr. completes first shakedown test of the RTR-X Mustang
When Vaughn Gittin Jr. unveiled the 1969 RTR-X Mustang at SEMA last year, he promised that the car wouldn’t be a trailer queen. “This car is built to be driven,” he said at the time. “This thing is not just going to sit on a trailer and go from show to show. We are going to be beating this beautiful machine up.”
Gittin lived up to his promise and yesterday took the RTR-X out for its very first test session at Willow Springs Raceway. After a few warm up laps he soon had the RTR-X sideways, the tuned Boss 302 5.0L V8 overwhelming the rear Falken RT-615K tires.While the performance of the car is certainly impressive, we were more enamored with the unique design details like the Kinsler individual throttle bodies, hand-formed steel fenders, hand-cut carbon fiber grille, or the cantilever rear suspension system.
You can all of the RTR-X’s design details as well as the car in action in the gallery below.
Photos © 2011 MustangsDaily.com
- Top Cover Racing to debut new Mustang at Formula Drift in Las Vegas
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. finishes third in Las Vegas, maintains Formula Drift series lead
- Vaughn Gittin Jr.'s Mustang to be powered by a Ford Racing 5.4L V8 for the 2011 season
- Vaughn Gitten Jr. Takes First Formula Drift Win with His Falken Tires / Ford Racing Mustang
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. one step closer to Formula Drift title with first place finish at Sonoma
- Vaughn Gittin Jr.'s 2010 Formula Drift Mustang in detail
- Justin Pawlak and his Falken Mustang win Formula Drift Streets of Long Beach
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. hoping to compete at X Games next year
- Photo Gallery: Vaughn Gittin Jr's 2011 Formula Drift Mustang debuts in Long Beach
- SEMA 2011: Vaughn Gittin Jr's 1969 Mustang RTR-X makes a return appearance