Refreshed Mustang coming in 2013, next generation to be 2015 model
Up until now we’ve been referring to the next generation Mustang as a 2014 model, but our inside sources now tell us that the all-new pony car will actually debut as a 2015 model, with a refreshed Mustang coming in 2013 to fill the gap. This timeline will make the next generation Mustang more inline with the car’s true 50th anniversary, as it will go on sale in the Spring of 2014, the same time the 1964 1/2 model hit showroom floors.
Details are still coming through about what to expect from the 2015 Mustang, but Ford’s design chief J Mays has promised that it won’t simply be an updated version of the current S197 platform. “We can’t simply do an evolution of the 2005, 2010 cars,” he said at the 2010 Paris Auto Show. It is widely believed that the next generation Mustang will be based on an new smaller, global platform using an independent rear suspension and will be sold in more parts of the world including the UK, Japan and Australia. The styling will have global input as well, with Ford’s studios around the world bringing designs to the table.
We can only speculate about the 2013 Mustang as well, although there are plenty of details floating around. The 2013 Shelby GT500 is rumored to get an upgrade to more than 620 horsepower, and could even receive a twin-turbo setup to replace the suprecharger system. A new 2013 Cobra Jet is also in the works, and a redesigned 2013 Boss 302 will also be produced with styling resembling the 1970 model.
Overall, it looks like Mustang fans will have plenty to look forward to in the next few years.
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases images of 2013 California Special and V6 Pony Package Mustangs
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. unveils new Mustang for 2012 Formula Drift season
- Build and price the 2013 Mustang...in Canada
- Ford releases details for Gauge Mode and Track Apps for the 2013 Mustang
- Ford provides first sneak peek of the 2013 Mustang
- 2013 Mustang to get Shelby GT500 styling cues, increase in horsepower
- New Product: Ford Racing Brake Duct Kit for the 2013 Mustang
- Spy Photos: 2013 Mustang caught in light camo
- Ford officially announces 2013 Mustang with updated look and new options
- Video: 2013 Mustang fitted with a Pypes exhaust system