NHTSA opens investigation into the 2011 Mustang’s transmission problems
For the most part the 2011+ Mustang has been void of any major problems, but if anything has caused trouble it’s the transmission. The Chinese-built Getrag MT-82 6-speed has already been the subject of one TSB regarding cold shifting problems, but many owners have reported more serious issues including binding gears, difficulty engaging in shifts and excessive noise and vibration.
To the dismay of many owners Ford has remained silent regarding the transmission issues, but it appears that the issue hasn’t gone completely unnoticed. Today the NHTSA announced that it is opening an investigation into transmission problems, reporting that they had received 32 complaints from owners regarding a sudden inability to shift into gear. According to the Detroit News, “some reports said incidents occurred while merging into high speed traffic, while others said incidents occurred while turning left across oncoming traffic.” The government agency will be taking a closer look at approximately 26,000 Mustangs that could potentially have the problem.
After the announcement Ford did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. “We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter,” commented a company spokesperson.
[Source: Detroit News]
- SEMA 2010: Kenne Bell offers first look at its 2011 Mustang supercharger, announces pricing
- New Product: ACT announces new twin-disc clutches for the 2011 Mustang
- Consumer Reports names 2011 Ford Mustang as top sporty car
- Aftermarket companies team up to build charity Mustang that will debut at SEMA
- Paxton releases pricing for 2011 Mustang supercharger systems
- Kenne Bell announces initial details for its "Mammoth" 2011 Mustang 5.0 supercharger kits
- 5.0L Mustang V8 crate engines available from Ford Racing starting August 15th
- New Product: SLP Loud Mouth and PowerFlo exhaust systems for the 2011 Mustang 5.0
- ProCharger supercharger kit for the 2011 Mustang 5.0 coming soon
- New Product: Livernois Motorsports Stage 1 heads for the 2011 Mustang GT