NHTSA opens investigation into the 2011 Mustang’s transmission problems
For the most part the 2011+ Mustang has been void of any major problems, but if anything has caused trouble it’s the transmission. The Chinese-built Getrag MT-82 6-speed has already been the subject of one TSB regarding cold shifting problems, but many owners have reported more serious issues including binding gears, difficulty engaging in shifts and excessive noise and vibration.
To the dismay of many owners Ford has remained silent regarding the transmission issues, but it appears that the issue hasn’t gone completely unnoticed. Today the NHTSA announced that it is opening an investigation into transmission problems, reporting that they had received 32 complaints from owners regarding a sudden inability to shift into gear. According to the Detroit News, “some reports said incidents occurred while merging into high speed traffic, while others said incidents occurred while turning left across oncoming traffic.” The government agency will be taking a closer look at approximately 26,000 Mustangs that could potentially have the problem.
After the announcement Ford did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. “We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter,” commented a company spokesperson.
[Source: Detroit News]
- DiabloSport announces availability of its Trinity programmer for the 2011 Mustang
- Vortech shows off the first photos of its 2011 Mustang 5.0 supercharger system
- New Product: Livernois Motorsports Stage 1 heads for the 2011 Mustang GT
- Motor Trend names the 2011 Mustang GT as one the most impressive cars of 2010
- Video: JPC Racing makes 500 naturally aspirated rwhp with a 2011 Mustang
- Featured: Carlo Spiga's 2011 Ford Mustang GT
- Steeda announces new axle-back exhaust for the 2011 Mustang GT
- Ward's names the Mustang's 5.0L V8 one of the 10 best engines of 2011
- New Product: SLP Loud Mouth and PowerFlo exhaust systems for the 2011 Mustang 5.0
- Video: Evolution Performance 2011 Mustang runs a 10.88 @ 127 mph