NHTSA opens investigation into the 2011 Mustang’s transmission problems
For the most part the 2011+ Mustang has been void of any major problems, but if anything has caused trouble it’s the transmission. The Chinese-built Getrag MT-82 6-speed has already been the subject of one TSB regarding cold shifting problems, but many owners have reported more serious issues including binding gears, difficulty engaging in shifts and excessive noise and vibration.
To the dismay of many owners Ford has remained silent regarding the transmission issues, but it appears that the issue hasn’t gone completely unnoticed. Today the NHTSA announced that it is opening an investigation into transmission problems, reporting that they had received 32 complaints from owners regarding a sudden inability to shift into gear. According to the Detroit News, “some reports said incidents occurred while merging into high speed traffic, while others said incidents occurred while turning left across oncoming traffic.” The government agency will be taking a closer look at approximately 26,000 Mustangs that could potentially have the problem.
After the announcement Ford did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. “We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter,” commented a company spokesperson.
[Source: Detroit News]
- Eibach announces new suspension systems for the 2011 Mustang Convertible
- Video: First Roush-supercharged 2011 Mustang hits the drag strip, runs low 11s
- New Product: Livernois Motorsports 5.0 V8 forged pistons and H-beam connecting rods
- 2011 Mustang V6 certified at 31 mpg
- SEMA 2010: Hurst announces new Billet/Plus Shifter for the 2011 Mustang GT
- Rehagen Racing 2011 Mustang wins NASA's American Iron National Championship
- Video: Stainless Works shows off its full exhaust system for the 2011 Mustang 5.0
- Ford Racing officially announces new supercharger system for the 2011 Mustang 5.0 with up to 624 horsepower
- Video: The Mustang's new 5.0-liter Ti-VCT V8
- New Product: Ford Racing Shaker Hood System for the 2011+ Mustang GT