2013 Mustang to get Shelby GT500 styling cues, increase in horsepower
Many of the rumors in the past few months have been regarding the 2015 Mustang, but as we initially reported last month, Ford will first unveil a redesigned Mustang in 2013 before we see the next generation pony car from the Blue Oval. Very little has been reported about what changes are in store for the 2013 Mustang, but our inside sources have given us new details about what to expect from the upcoming model year.
First up, the 2013 Mustang will be getting a fairly significant redesign, with many styling cues from the current Shelby GT500 making their way onto the front of the car including the larger, protruding upper grille and smaller, rounder lower grille. This aligns with the mysterious Mustang test mule that was caught on the streets of Dearborn back in April. As a modern touch, LED lights will be used, most likely for the fog lights in the lower front fascia. Many Mustang fans will also be happy to know that the controversial taillight design first seen on the 2010 Mustang have also gone on the chopping block for 2013, giving way to a lights that run straight across the back of the car rather than angling towards the front.
As far as powertrains go, our sources say that they will remain the same for 2013, a 5.0L V8 and the 3.7L V6, although Ford will be giving a slight bump in horsepower to the Mustang GT (no word on the V6) to be more on par with the Camaro SS. The exact horsepower figure for the Mustang GT is unknown, but expect it to come in right around 425. As we reported back in March, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will also be getting an increase in horsepower to as much as 620.
Finally, we earlier speculated that the 2013 Mustang would debut in November at the L.A. Auto Show, and our sources have confirmed this. Expect to see the redesigned 2013 Mustang right around November 16-17, the press days for the L.A. Auto show.
- Final two 2013 Mustang teaser photos revealed
- 2013 Mustangs arriving at Ford dealerships
- Photo Gallery: Ford Mustangs at the 2012 LA Auto Show
- Video: Ford releases 2013 Mustang, Boss 302 and Shelby GT500 b-roll footage
- Ford debuts 2013 Mustang with Brembo Brake Package
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Ford Mustang GT at the L.A. Auto Show
- Road Test: 2013 Ford Mustang GT
- Complete 2013 Mustang Lineup Overview
- Ford releases details for Gauge Mode and Track Apps for the 2013 Mustang
- Ford officially announces 2013 Mustang with updated look and new options