Mustangs dominate World Challenge GTS class at Infineon
Ford Mustangs continued their domination in the GTS class of the World Challenge race series, taking five of the six podium spots at the double header event at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA this past weekend. Paul Brown, currently the frontrunner in the GTS class, finished second in both races in his Boss 302S to extend his overall points lead, and rookie driver Ben Crosland had a strong showing as well with a first and fourth place finish in his FR500S Mustang.
In the first race of the weekend, it was Eric Foss in his FR500S Mustang that jumped out to an early lead, followed closely by Paul Brown’s Boss 302S. The lead was eventually given up to the Acura TSX of Peter Cunningham, and a brake issue eventually caused Foss to fall back in the field. Brown ran a smooth and consistent race, though, finishing just over four seconds behind Cunningham, and the Boss 302S of local driver Greg Liefooghe, who was making his series debut, rounded out the podium. Two more Mustangs, driven by Ben Crosland and Brad Adams, finished fourth and fifth in class.
For the second race of the weekend it was an all-Mustang battle between Crosland and Brown. Crosland started on pole, but Brown took the lead on the first lap and held on to it for much of the race. Crosland battled back, however, and passed Brown with two laps remaining to take the checkered flag.
“We ran into a bit of traffic and it played into my hands,” Crosland said. “I just got the advantage off of the hairpin and it went my way. It was a really good race, really close and an awesome battle.
“There were a lot of points where I would get slowed up, and then he would get slowed up. The pass was one time where I got the advantage and got past him and got the win at the end. I had a really good car and knew if I got past him I could keep the lead, but he made me work for it.”
Greg Liefooghe rounded out the podium, earning his second podium in his debut weekend, finishing third in the No. 16 Red Line Oil Ford Mustang Boss 302S.
With the two second place finishes Brown now leads the GTS Drivers’ Championship with 1249 points, followed by Crosland with 1028. Eric Foss, who finished seventh in the second race on Sunday, is third with 1016. Ford leads Acura in the GTS Manufacturers’ Championship, 91-48.
[Source: World Challenge]
- Ford Mustangs sweep the podium at World Challenge races at Mosport
- Capaldi Racing shows off 2013-look Boss 302S ahead of SCCA World Challenge debut
- Capaldi Racing gearing up for SCCA World Challenge season opener
- Paul Brown extends SCCA World Challenge GTS lead with win at Mid-Ohio
- New Product: Boss 302S wheels now available from Ford Racing
- 2013 Mustang Boss 302S production underway
- Tiger Racing Boss 302S wins first race of 2012 World Challenge season in St. Petersburg
- Ford Racing to unveil Mustang Boss 302S at 2010 PRI Show
- Photo Gallery: Ford Mustang carnage at Laguna Seca
- Photo Gallery: Ford Mustangs qualify for World Challenge at Laguna Seca