Motor Trend tests the 2012 Shelby GTS
The lucky guys over at Motor Trend recently got their hands on a 2012 Shelby GTS, and they have just published the review on MotorTrend.com. So how did the supercharged V6 Shelby fair? Motor Trend found the GTS, a fully loaded example with an as-tested price of $51,610, a tough sell compared to standard Mustang GT or even the Shelby GT500. Here’s what they said about the GTS’ value compared to the factory options:
For more than 50 large, you’d be right to expect some serious performance. That’s where things start to fall apart. The last GT500 we tested ran from 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds and finished the quarter mile in 12.4 seconds at 115.8 MPH. The similarly priced GTS needed 4.4 seconds to hit 60 and ran the quarter mile in 12.8 seconds at 111.0. Of course, the GT500 supplies 75 more horsepower and 70 more lb-ft of torque from its supercharged V-8, so it’s no surprise the GTS couldn’t keep up.”
Certainly a more fair comparison would be to a standard Mustang GT, which makes 53 fewer horsepower and 60 fewer lb-ft of torque than the GTS, for a much lower price. Unfortunately for the GTS, the stock Mustang GT will hit 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and run the quarter mile in 12.8 seconds at 110.8 mph, despite being 74 pounds heavier. So, for an extra 10 grand before options, you get a car about as fast as a stock Mustang GT. To be fair, though, the GTS is certainly faster than a stock V-6 Mustang, which needs 5.1 seconds to hit 60 and does the quarter in 13.7 seconds at 102.0 mph despite being 82 pounds lighter.
Where the Shelby GTS did shine was in the handling department. Motor Trend recorded an impressive 1.01g on the skidpad, and the GTS easily beat out the standard Mustang GT on their figure eight course.
You can read the rest of the article over at MotorTrend.com.
- Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Deep Impact Blue
- Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM's Arizona auction
- 2012 Shelby 1000 makes official debut at New York Auto Show
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GTS live at the New York Auto Show
- Shelby GTS officially announced at New York Auto Show
- Shelby, Ford to Continue Building the GT500KR in 2009
- 2013 Shelby 1000 officially revealed in NY
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: 1965 Shelby GT350 once owned by Ford sells for $242,000
- Shelby to unveil EcoBoost-powered car at Detroit Auto Show?