Motor Trend tests the 2012 Shelby GTS
The lucky guys over at Motor Trend recently got their hands on a 2012 Shelby GTS, and they have just published the review on MotorTrend.com. So how did the supercharged V6 Shelby fair? Motor Trend found the GTS, a fully loaded example with an as-tested price of $51,610, a tough sell compared to standard Mustang GT or even the Shelby GT500. Here’s what they said about the GTS’ value compared to the factory options:
For more than 50 large, you’d be right to expect some serious performance. That’s where things start to fall apart. The last GT500 we tested ran from 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds and finished the quarter mile in 12.4 seconds at 115.8 MPH. The similarly priced GTS needed 4.4 seconds to hit 60 and ran the quarter mile in 12.8 seconds at 111.0. Of course, the GT500 supplies 75 more horsepower and 70 more lb-ft of torque from its supercharged V-8, so it’s no surprise the GTS couldn’t keep up.”
Certainly a more fair comparison would be to a standard Mustang GT, which makes 53 fewer horsepower and 60 fewer lb-ft of torque than the GTS, for a much lower price. Unfortunately for the GTS, the stock Mustang GT will hit 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and run the quarter mile in 12.8 seconds at 110.8 mph, despite being 74 pounds heavier. So, for an extra 10 grand before options, you get a car about as fast as a stock Mustang GT. To be fair, though, the GTS is certainly faster than a stock V-6 Mustang, which needs 5.1 seconds to hit 60 and does the quarter in 13.7 seconds at 102.0 mph despite being 82 pounds lighter.
Where the Shelby GTS did shine was in the handling department. Motor Trend recorded an impressive 1.01g on the skidpad, and the GTS easily beat out the standard Mustang GT on their figure eight course.
You can read the rest of the article over at MotorTrend.com.
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Galpin Auto Sports named as official Shelby Mod Shop
- 2013 Shelby GT500 with 600+ horsepower in the works?
- One-off 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake going up for auction in May
- 1968 Shelby GT350 barn find recovered after 30 years
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- Shelby wrapping up production of 427 Super Snake and 40th Anniversary packages for the GT500
- Shelby unveils 2012 GT500 Super Snake at New York Auto Show
- 1966 Shelby GT350H race car to cross the block in Monterey
- Shelby unveils 2012 GT350 with new colors, convertible option