J Mays: 2015 Mustang to get less retro styling, will ‘bring the brand forward’
For the past year or so Ford’s Chief Creative Officer, J Mays, has been giving hints about what could be in store for the 2015 Mustang. At the Paris Motor Show last year he hinted that “something very cool” would be in store for the Mustang’s 50th anniversary and that the next generation car wouldn’t be an evolution of the current car.
Earlier this week at the Frankfurt Motor Show, Mays once again provided a few clues about what to expect for the 2015 Mustang. In an interview with Automotive News, Mays revealed that the all-new Mustang won’t have as much retro styling as the designs introduced in 2005 and 2010.
“The challenge or the opportunity for 2014 with a 50th anniversary car is to not just look back over your shoulder, but to try to win all of the Mustang faithful yet bring the brand forward as well,” he said. “It has to look like a Mustang. But you go down a list of things that might or might not be necessary to make the car look like a Mustang.”
What else can we expect from the 2015 Mustang? First, the next generation pony car from Ford is rumored to be smaller and lighter, with an independent suspension replacing the solid rear axle. A turbocharged four-cylinder model is also expected to be offered. Before then, however, a slightly refreshed Mustang for 2013 will fill the gap with Shelby styling elements and a slight bump in horsepower.
[Source: Automotive News]
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Ford Mustang GT at the L.A. Auto Show
- Ford releases dozens of new photos of the 2013 Mustang
- This is the 2013 Mustang's new automatic shifter with SelectShift
- 2013 Ford Mustang Competition Kit now available from Ford Racing
- Video: Ford releases 2013 Mustang, Boss 302 and Shelby GT500 b-roll footage
- Official 2013 Mustang Boss 302 colors leaked?
- 2013 Mustang to get Shelby GT500 styling cues, increase in horsepower
- Ford officially announces 2013 Mustang with updated look and new options
- Spy Photos: Next generation Cobra Jet caught testing with giant hood scoop
- Mustang Cobra Jet confirmed for 2013, will include 5.0-liter V8 options