J Mays: 2015 Mustang to get less retro styling, will ‘bring the brand forward’
For the past year or so Ford’s Chief Creative Officer, J Mays, has been giving hints about what could be in store for the 2015 Mustang. At the Paris Motor Show last year he hinted that “something very cool” would be in store for the Mustang’s 50th anniversary and that the next generation car wouldn’t be an evolution of the current car.
Earlier this week at the Frankfurt Motor Show, Mays once again provided a few clues about what to expect for the 2015 Mustang. In an interview with Automotive News, Mays revealed that the all-new Mustang won’t have as much retro styling as the designs introduced in 2005 and 2010.
“The challenge or the opportunity for 2014 with a 50th anniversary car is to not just look back over your shoulder, but to try to win all of the Mustang faithful yet bring the brand forward as well,” he said. “It has to look like a Mustang. But you go down a list of things that might or might not be necessary to make the car look like a Mustang.”
What else can we expect from the 2015 Mustang? First, the next generation pony car from Ford is rumored to be smaller and lighter, with an independent suspension replacing the solid rear axle. A turbocharged four-cylinder model is also expected to be offered. Before then, however, a slightly refreshed Mustang for 2013 will fill the gap with Shelby styling elements and a slight bump in horsepower.
[Source: Automotive News]
- Video: Ford releases 2013 Mustang, Boss 302 and Shelby GT500 b-roll footage
- 2013 Ford Mustang Competition Kit now available from Ford Racing
- Late Model Restoration begins 2013 Mustang 'Project High Impact'
- Win a 2013 Mustang customized by Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Justin Pawlak
- 2013 Mustang Boss 302 revealed with new look, tech and colors
- Ford debuts 2013 Mustang California Special at Barrett-Jackson
- Ford to begin selling the Mustang in the Philippines
- Ford debuts 2013 Mustang with Brembo Brake Package
- Spy Photos: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible caught testing with quad exhaust tips
- Photo Gallery: 2014 Ford Mustang with FP6 Appearance Package