J Mays: 2015 Mustang to get less retro styling, will ‘bring the brand forward’

By Drew Phillips - September 16, 2011 – 9:09 am13 Comments | 21,275 views

Ford Mustang Giugiaro Concept

For the past year or so Ford’s Chief Creative Officer, J Mays, has been giving hints about what could be in store for the 2015 Mustang. At the Paris Motor Show last year he hinted that “something very cool” would be in store for the Mustang’s 50th anniversary and that the next generation car wouldn’t be an evolution of the current car.

Earlier this week at the Frankfurt Motor Show, Mays once again provided a few clues about what to expect for the 2015 Mustang. In an interview with Automotive News, Mays revealed that the all-new Mustang won’t have as much retro styling as the designs introduced in 2005 and 2010.

“The challenge or the opportunity for 2014 with a 50th anniversary car is to not just look back over your shoulder, but to try to win all of the Mustang faithful yet bring the brand forward as well,” he said. “It has to look like a Mustang. But you go down a list of things that might or might not be necessary to make the car look like a Mustang.”

What else can we expect from the 2015 Mustang? First, the next generation pony car from Ford is rumored to be smaller and lighter, with an independent suspension replacing the solid rear axle. A turbocharged four-cylinder model is also expected to be offered. Before then, however, a slightly refreshed Mustang for 2013 will fill the gap with Shelby styling elements and a slight bump in horsepower.

[Source: Automotive News]

• Benoit says:

New Style and rear independent supension is OK. Smaller is not required. Pleases make sure to offer a convertible model with the 2015 mustang, this is also part of the legend.

• Jack Velouit says:

Also: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ALLOWING THE 2015 MUSTANG TO BE A RENTAL CAR.

I’m tired of seeing perfectly healthy Mustangs be abused by the hands of clutch-happy moron tourists and ignorant foreigners.

Keep the Rental Fleets V6 ONLY. If anything, DO NOT ALLOW after the 2013 Model Year Mustang in RENTAL FLEETS ANYMORE.

Our American Automotive Darling DESERVES BETTER THAN BEING ABUSED.

They deserve good homes.

GOOD HOMES.

• Stephen Wilson says:

But I LIKE the retro look….

• Tony says:

Not looking forward to a non-retro look.

• Mike says:

Can someone fire this guy please? Look at Chevy what they did with the corvette .. From 1984 to present day the car barely changed.. Why? Because it sells .. The retro look never in my life have I seen so many new mustangs on the road until now the retro style works people love it you don’t need to change it much now 50th anniversary is coming up and as a mustang owner from what I’ve been reading histor will repeat itself once 1974 came along mustang died … 2015… Mustang prob will die I’m a proud happy owner of a 2008 Shelby cs6 and I want another mustang lol but I prob won’t buy the 2015 unless they decide not to change body style anymore create a 7.1l v8 Mach 1 cobra jet then yea I’m sold that’s something big your welcome for the idea

• Brian says:

The retro styling is good styling! All modern designs are round and indistinct, and un-interesting.

• Aaron says:

all i have to say is round = fat chisled=muscle

• nate says:

this is coming from a 19 year old btw, if they change the design i agree goodbye mustang, i own a 92 mustang and love it because its unique they are trying to be like the camaros which are doing so well with their current body, but seriously ford dont be a follower, be a leader. -_-

• Rick says:

I use to own a Fox Body Mustang and liked it alot. When that body style changed I lost interest, until the Retro style change of 2005. I fell in love with the Mustang again. I now drive a 2013 Mustang Coupe, I bought this Car because of the looks and the new 6 cylender engine. I also wanted the Solid Rear Axle. I just hope Ford dosent make another undesirable Mustang like they have before. I may loose interest again !

• Marti Ewy says:

I love Mustangs! However, it is time for American car companies to get into the 21st century. Mustangs, Challengers, and comaros need a modernization including automatic paddle shifters and all wheel drive; clutches and rear wheel drive are obsolete.

• Marti says:

In addition, both the corvette and Shelby were beaten in a quarter mile race by a Japanese car with 100 – 150 fewer horse power, automatic paddle shifting, and all wheel drive. Time to get out of the Dark Ages.

• Steve L says:

Mustang is not now, nor ever has been “in the dark ages”. It is the only American Legend to have survived almost 50 years. (Corvettes were NOT produced in 1980) making the Mustang the only American car to have survived production almost 50 years. I’ve owned 9 Mustangs, and America doesn’t need another Jap or Euro car. As the German photographer recently said when he saw the 2013 Shelby GT500 over in Nuremburg, “I am so bored with these round BMW’s, Porsche’s, Audi’s and the like. I love this Shelby. It’s American. It’s fast, loud, powerful – I just love it.” Ditto that!!

• Kenkin says:

“Bring the brand foeward”?? There are so many thing to bring forward… Why not change interior, inside the car and remain the retro look? Forexample, add paddle shift behide the handle, sport mode shift (on the hand nob by + & -) or the keyless etc.