Mustang Cobra Jet confirmed for 2013, will include 5.0-liter V8 options
Up until now we haven’t heard much about whether a 2013 Mustang Cobra Jet would be produced or not, with our only hint being a strange set of spy photos. Now we can indeed confirm that the Cobra Jet will be making a return for at least another year, as our sources at Ford Racing tell us that a revised 2013 model is already under development. Two test mules recently underwent durability testing at Milan Dragway (as seen in the photo gallery), a process that requires at least 50 passes down the drag strip.
The big news for the 2013 Cobra Jet will be the addition of the Coyote 5.0-liter V8 as an engine option that will be available in either naturally aspirated or supercharged form. Jesse Kershaw of Ford Racing tells that this powertrain, along with the supercharged 5.4-liter V8 already offered, will allow for drag racers to compete in a wider range of NHRA categories. “The goal with the next gen Cobra Jet is for all engine options to be NHRA Stock Eliminator legal where in 2010 and 2012 we had Super Stock only engine options,” he told us.
In addition to the option of the 5.0-liter V8, the 2013 Cobra Jet will also see a variety of updates from the 2012 model. “The Cobra Jet enthusiast should expect minor refinement all around the car from suspension, brake feel, steering, cage design and even seats,” Kershaw informed us. “We are looking at ways to cost-effectively take weight out of the Cobra Jet and are also paying close attention to the final price. Based on our research we know where the car needs to be performance and price wise.”
Expect to see the 2013 Mustang Cobra Jet debut at the Performance Racing Industry (PRI) show in December, with production scheduled for the summer of 2012.
[Source: Ford Racing]
- Ford and SEMA teaming up for custom 2013 Mustang designed and built by women
- Vortech releases supercharger system for 2013 Mustang GT
- Ford releases dozens of new photos of the 2013 Mustang
- Motor Trend tests the 2013 Ford Mustang V6 Premium
- 2013 Mustang to get Shelby GT500 styling cues, increase in horsepower
- Ford officially announces 2013 Mustang with updated look and new options
- Video: Ford releases 2013 Mustang, Boss 302 and Shelby GT500 b-roll footage
- Ford debuts 2013 Mustang with Brembo Brake Package
- Ford provides first sneak peek of the 2013 Mustang
- Pick the winner of 30 consecutive sports games and win a 2013 Ford Mustang V6