Complete 2013 Mustang Lineup Overview

By Drew Phillips - November 14, 2011 – 10:00 pm9 Comments | 58,322 views

2013 Ford Mustang Overview

After months of anticipation Ford has finally unveiled the 2013 Mustang just ahead of the 2011 Los Angeles International Auto Show. Featuring numerous design changes, new options, new technology and additional features, the 2013 Mustang represents a significant refresh ahead of the all new Mustang that will debut as a 2015 model. The updates don’t stop with the standard Mustang V6 and GT, though. Ford has also updated the track-ready Boss 302 with a new look and upgraded the the legendary GT500 to be the most potent muscle car on the planet.

To give you a better idea of the updates for the Mustang for 2013, we’ve put together a concise overview of all the significant changes and new features of the entire Mustang lineup below.

Mustang V6/GT:

New Aggressive Design

The Mustang last received a styling update in 2010, and Ford has followed that up new aggressive design with a more prominent grille, body-colored rocker panels and a high-gloss black panel that connects the taillights. The taillights themselves now use separated LED elements, complimented by new standard HID LED headlights. The Mustang GT is set apart with new functional heat extractors on the hood and an aggressive front splitter. Finally, Ford is offering a revamped wheel lineup from the standard 17-inch wheels on the Mustang V6 to new optional 19-inch wheels on the Mustang GT.

2013 Ford Mustang GT2013 Ford Mustang Taillights

Updated Powertrain

The Mustang GT’s 5.0-liter V8 receives no significant updates for 2013, although Ford engineers have applied some new technology learned from the development of the Boss 302 to bump horsepower from 412 to 420 horsepower.

The significant powertrain update for 2013 is for the automatic transmission. A new SelectShift feature is available, allowing the driver to manually select gears via a button on the side of the shifter.

Track Package

For 2013 Ford is offering a Track Package for the Mustang GT. Available only on manual models with the 3.73 rear axle, the Track Package includes everything in the Brembo brake package plus an engine cooler, upgraded radiator, performance friction brake pads and the same Torsen differential used on the Boss 302.

2013 Ford Mustang Track AppTrack App and Gauge Mode

A new 4.2-inch LCD screen placed in between the gauges will be available for the 2013 Mustang featuring a Track App and a Gauge Mode. The screen will allow the driver to record various performance metrics including g forces, acceleration times and braking times as well as display various types of gauges.

Other New Features

The 2013 Mustang also has a features including optional Recaro seats available in both leather and cloth, hill start assist, and the availability of the Brembo brake package on models with the automatic transmission.

Shelby GT500:

New 5.8-liter Supercharged V8

2013 Shelby GT500 EngineThe big news for the 2013 Shelby GT500 is the new 5.8-liter supercharged V8. Nearly every part of the engine differs from the old 5.4-liter engine with new cross-drilled block and heads, updated camshaft profiles, a new TVS 2300 series supercharger and an upgraded cooling system. The result is 650 horsepower and 600 lb-ft torque, making the 5.8-liter V8 the most powerful production V8 engine in the world and allowing the GT500 capable of reaching 200 mph.

The rest of the powertrain has been updated as well with a new carbon fiber driveshaft, upgraded clutch, transmission and axle. A final drive ratio of 3.31:1 is now standard.

Performance and Track Package

An updated Performance Package is now available for the 2013 Shelby GT500 that includes Bilstein dampers that can be electronically adjusted via a button on the dash as well as a Torsen limited-slip differential. A Track Package is also available with an external engine oil cooler, rear differential cooler and transmission cooler.

2013 Shelby GT500Advanced Aerodynamic s

The 2013 Shelby GT500 has been optimized for better aerodynamics. The front fascia and splitter have been reinforced to handle high speeds, and the 2013 GT500 offers 33 percent more effective aero loading at 160 mph compared to the 2011 model.

Other New Features

The 2013 Shelby GT500 also features a variety of new features including a new launch control system that allows drivers to set a desired launch rpm, updated front Brembo brakes with 6-piston calipers and two new sets of 19-inch and 20-inch forged aluminum wheels.

Mustang Boss 302:

2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302Updated Design and New Graphics

The Boss 302 features the same design changes featured on the standard Mustang GT including the new front end, vented hood, revised rear end and LED headlights and taillights.

The major external changes to the 2013 Boss 302 include a new set of graphics akin to those featured on the 1970 Boss 302. New hockey stripe graphics now reside on the side of the car complimented by a triple stripe on the hood. The graphics have been left off the roof, however.

New Heritage Inspired Colors

The Laguna Seca model will be offered in School Bus Yellow for 2013, paying tribute to Parnelli Jones’ 1970 Trans-Am championship race car. The Laguna Seca will also feature Sterling Gray accents for both the graphics and for the rear seat cross brace, and the 19-inch wheels will be polished rather than painted.

Availability of SYNC

SYNC will be available for the Boss 302 for 2013, allowing owners to access features including hands-free connection to mobile phones, control of external USB-connected music players, 911 Assist and more.

• Boyd says:

The technology is great, but the looks remind me of a 1960s Asian toy. They intend to make a copy of an American Design, but stylize it and take away from its intent. The ’05 – ’08 Mustang nearly nailed it, more retro styling is what is necessary to make the Mustang what it once was, and could be again. The car is an American Icon, make it look American again!

• Mando says:

I completely disagree with you Boyd. The current design for the 2013 Mustang is exactly where it needs to be for 2013 in order to keep the vehicle fresh and up to date. Mustang has survived because of this, because it keeps evolving at a healthy rate. We (Mustang owners) have always enjoyed these style changes as we watch our rivals either remain stagnant or disappear all together. Progress is good. Take for example the new Challenger. It’s a great looking car but since it did not have a chance to evolve since it was put to rest in the 70’s, this new iteration is simply a modern looking version of the ‘70 Challenger. But where do they go from here? The Corvette is another example, today’s Corvette has essentially the same design cues as the ‘80’s Corvette.
    If people want a 1971 Mach I then they should buy a 1971 Mach I. With the money you would spend on a 2013 Shelby GT500 you could get a decent classic if that’s what you want. Ford has been incredibly good about listening to its customer base and it looks like they are trying to integrate everyone’s ideas into new designs. But the key word there is NEW, these new Mustangs have to be 2013 Mustangs, not anything else. The style has to evolve because if it does not Mustang will die and we can’t let that happen.
    Btw Asian car makers can only dream of designing cars that look as good as the Mustang, but they never will.

• Joe Blake says:

The fanny on the new Mustang is the ugliest thing I have ever seen since the previous Mustang fanny.

And, the sequential lights…well they are just wrong….unless Ford is going to start making a Cougar.

• Jamo says:

I like the tail. I’m surprised at how dated the ’05 – ’09 ‘stang looks, in retrospect. At the time I thought it was decent retro. Now, it just looks dated.

Although, I would still like to see a new ‘stang look just like a ’65.

• Jim says:

I have to partially agree with Jamo. I was hoping a few years back that for 2014 1/2 that Ford would do a clone style of the 65/66 fastback. Or 67/68 fastback. I hope Ford realizes that the interest in Mustangs went through the roof with the introduction of the retro 05.
    I’m on my 9th Mustang since 1972 and I hope that Ford doesn’t screw this up.

• John says:

Boyd I don’t see anything like a 60′s Asian car in the Mustang new design. Are you thinking mid-70′s Toyota Celica? That would make sense since it was modeled after the Ford Mustang.
    At this place in time I like the new design much better than the version that debut in 2005. To continue selling the Mustang Ford needs to push along with evolution but at a slow pace and I believe they are on target.

I ton’t care for the 2012 colors offered for the base Boss 302 and I am waiting to see the colors for the 2013.

I believe that sequential taillights should not be on a Mustang. This is not a big thing to me and I am bios by the fact that my first car was a 1967 Cougar.

My track car for many years now has been a 1995 BMW M3 that has evolved as my driving has improved. I have looked but until this new Boss 302 came out I had not seen anything compelling enough to make me consider moving into another track use vehicle. A new Boss 302 might have me make this change.

• Tony says:

I dislike the “new” grill for the GT. I don’t like how the hood swoops down to divide the headlights from the fog lights.

That’s really my only complaint.

• alan Andre says:

I have had 3 Mustangs, 93,04 and present 08 all of these cars stayed in the garage all the time.
    I like the new designs of the 12 and 13. I am like Tony I dislike the new grill. I have 09 BMW and
    would rather drive the Mustang it is morwe confortable. I to would like to see a retro of 67/68
    fastbacks. Keep up the good work Ford.

• John E H says:

As far as sequential tail lights, they first appeared on a FORD Thunderbird not a Merc, and the 67 Shelby (Mustang) shared the same light as 67 cougar and 68 Shelby used a t-bird light. I am on my 7th, 69 mach, 70 mach, 65 notch, 68 Shelby Cobra GT 500, 65 notch, 04 GT and now 2010 in which I may like better than my Shelby. It does not have the power but is easily a better machine. Fords commitment to continuous improvement has hurt them in the 60s / 70s as far as interchangeability like the chevy, but has always strived to make a better product. If you want a 65 or 68 go build one. Ford will not make it and I wouldn’t want them to. This is the new age. 2015 will be a whole new stang and like it or not its coming. I wouldn’t buy ANYTHING else but a Ford and welcome the change. If they were still making 65s, how cool would anybodies 65 really be. Thank you Ford.