Ford releases details for Gauge Mode and Track Apps for the 2013 Mustang
The Ford Mustang delivers more performance inside the cabin, thanks to new technologies and features for the 2013 model year aimed at making the drive even more fun.
“Mustang stays fresh by keeping pace with everything going on in the tech world,” said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief engineer. “We are taking all the technology people are used to using and finding ways to integrate it into Mustang, based on enthusiasts’ feedback.”
An available new 4.2-inch liquid crystal display (LCD) productivity screen positioned between the tachometer and speedometer helps customers track information related to fuel economy and vehicle performance. The menu is navigated through a five-way button on the steering wheel.
Unique to Mustang’s productivity screen is Track Apps, which delivers performance metrics for drivers who want to put their car to the test at the track.
An accelerometer shows the g force the car is pulling from left to right. Drivers can also track their fastest times with the acceleration timer screen, which offers 0-30 mph, 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, eighth-mile and quarter-mile. Both an automatic start and a countdown start, complete with drag racing start light, are available.
The brake performance screen indicates stopping time and distance for 60-0 or 100-0. The view/clear results screen lets drivers take a look at their top times including their all-time best. They can also review their last results and saved results from the acceleration timer and brake performance screen.
“We took advantage of sensors that are already on the vehicle to give customers information they would have to pay extra for in the aftermarket,” said Jeff Seaman, Mustang launch leader. “They have more data at their fingertips than ever before.”
Using these base menu options, owners can see and customize the following information:
Gauge mode: Checking temperature/engine operation
- Air-to-fuel ratio
- Cylinder head temperature
- Inlet air temperature
- Oil temperature
- Transmission temperature
Trip computer: Counting the miles
- Information on two trips available
- Trip time and mileage
- Gallons of fuel used and miles per gallon
Fuel economy: Up-to-the-second information
- Fuel history can be broken down to three time periods
- Five resets are available to track fuel history
- Fuel economy displays miles to empty as well as average and instantaneous miles per gallon
- View/clear results
- Set steering feel – sport, standard or comfort
- Update MyColor
- Set MyKey®
- Turn features on or off
- Change duration of lamps
- Change operating condition for maintenance schedules
- Set oil life percentage
Information: Navigate and view warnings
- System check screen displays information such as oil life, engine hours, engine idle hours and open doors
- Warnings, such as “Left door ajar,” can be displayed graphically
Technology and connectivity features
The 2013 Ford Mustang also offers two new audio systems for even better sound quality for incredible clarity and crispness. The optional Shaker system comes with eight speakers and pumps out 370 watts of power. The upgraded Shaker Pro offers nine speakers and delivers 550 watts of power.
“We are really listening to our customers and making technology and convenience more accessible,” said Jim Owens, Mustang Marketing manager. “New customer option packages for the GT and V6 that provide SYNC® with steering wheel controls, a leather steering wheel and shifter, six-way power driver’s seat, fog lamps and auto dim mirror are just one example.”
The 2013 Ford Mustang also includes a wealth of features for more customer convenience.
Standard and available technology features include:
- Auxiliary audio input jack
- HD Radio
- SIRIUS® Satellite Radio
- SYNC with AppLink™
- Voice-activated Navigation System with touch-screen display
- Rear view camera
- Reverse Sensing System
- Video: Ford's NASCAR drivers take the 2013 Mustang lineup to Las Vegas Speedway
- Motor Trend tests the 2013 Ford Mustang V6 Premium
- Video: 2013 Mustang fitted with a Pypes exhaust system
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Mustang GT
- Where does the 2013 Mustang GT's extra 8 horsepower come from?
- New Product: Ford Racing Brake Duct Kit for the 2013 Mustang
- 2013 Mustangs arriving at Ford dealerships
- Win a 2013 Mustang customized by Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Justin Pawlak
- 2013 Mustang to get Shelby GT500 styling cues, increase in horsepower
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Ford Mustang in 'Gotta Have It Green'