Road & Track gives inside perspective on the 2013 Shelby GT500’s Nürburgring testing
While we were stuck speculating about spy photos of the 2013 Shelby GT500 at the Nürburgring earlier this year, the lucky guys over at Road & Track were actually getting an exclusive first hand look at the testing being done by Ford and SVT. They’ve had to keep what they learned a secret for the past few months, but now that the 2013 Shelby GT500 has been officially announced they’ve let loose on all the juicy details. Here’s some of the more interesting information revealed by Road & Track about the 2013 Shelby GT500:
Regarding upgrades to the engine…
“The new 5.4-liter aluminum V-8, introduced in 2011, is now bored to its maximum intended size of 5.8 liters, a capacity that engineers had allowed for in the block but never really expected to use. New pistons are used with oil squirters for improved cooling, requiring a higher-capacity oil pump. The cast-aluminum oilpan is larger now by 1.5 quarts, and replaces the stamped steel pan. The forged crank is about the same, but better balanced with a titanium slug to support a new redline of 7000 rpm, up from 6250. Topping it off is an Eaton-supplied 4-lobe TVS style supercharger breathing through a larger 3-row intercooler, up from a 2-row.”
Regarding improved 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile times…
“Of special note is the 2.66 1st gear that, with the 3.31 final drive, will get the GT500 to about 62 mph at 7000 rpm. So a dramatic 0–60 improvement is expected, and combined with an extra 100 horsepower the quarter-mile time could likely drop by a half second.”
Regarding the improved handling…
“Compared to the 2011 car, the 2013 car is far sharper and precise in its body motions. Pitch and roll in Sport mode are almost nonexistent.”
You can read the article in its entirety over at RoadandTrack.com.
[Source: Road & Track]
- SPEED TV announces winner of Ford Racing Champions Shelby GT500
- President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 "sick"
- Video: Ford shows off 2013 Shelby GT500's launch control system
- Video: Watch the Shelby GT500 hit 190 mph on the Autobahn
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
- Motor Trend puts the 2013 Shelby GT500's 200 mph top speed to the test
- Photo Gallery: 1968 Shelby EXP 500 "Green Hornet"
- Photo Gallery: Need for Speed Shelby GT500 Hero Car
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8