Road & Track gives inside perspective on the 2013 Shelby GT500′s Nürburgring testing
While we were stuck speculating about spy photos of the 2013 Shelby GT500 at the Nürburgring earlier this year, the lucky guys over at Road & Track were actually getting an exclusive first hand look at the testing being done by Ford and SVT. They’ve had to keep what they learned a secret for the past few months, but now that the 2013 Shelby GT500 has been officially announced they’ve let loose on all the juicy details. Here’s some of the more interesting information revealed by Road & Track about the 2013 Shelby GT500:
Regarding upgrades to the engine…
“The new 5.4-liter aluminum V-8, introduced in 2011, is now bored to its maximum intended size of 5.8 liters, a capacity that engineers had allowed for in the block but never really expected to use. New pistons are used with oil squirters for improved cooling, requiring a higher-capacity oil pump. The cast-aluminum oilpan is larger now by 1.5 quarts, and replaces the stamped steel pan. The forged crank is about the same, but better balanced with a titanium slug to support a new redline of 7000 rpm, up from 6250. Topping it off is an Eaton-supplied 4-lobe TVS style supercharger breathing through a larger 3-row intercooler, up from a 2-row.”
Regarding improved 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile times…
“Of special note is the 2.66 1st gear that, with the 3.31 final drive, will get the GT500 to about 62 mph at 7000 rpm. So a dramatic 0–60 improvement is expected, and combined with an extra 100 horsepower the quarter-mile time could likely drop by a half second.”
Regarding the improved handling…
“Compared to the 2011 car, the 2013 car is far sharper and precise in its body motions. Pitch and roll in Sport mode are almost nonexistent.”
You can read the article in its entirety over at RoadandTrack.com.
[Source: Road & Track]
- President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 "sick"
- Video: Evolution Performance and Lund Racing tune the 2013 Shelby GT500
- The 2013 Shelby GT500's official top speed? 202 mph.
- Video: Lethal Performance's 2013 Shelby GT500 sets new record with 9.39 second 1/4 mile run
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- Spy Photos: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible caught testing with quad exhaust tips
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 200 mph was the goal
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- Video: First 2013 Shelby GT500 in the 9s