A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500’s 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
It might be easy to assume that there aren’t too many differences between the old 5.4-liter V8 in the 2012 Shelby GT500 and the new 5.8-liter V8 in the 2013 Shelby GT500. After all, the two engines look relatively the same and it’s fairly easy to add more displacement, right? Of course, that’s not the case as both Ford and SVT worked hard over the past year to make the 650 horsepower supercharged 5.8-liter V8 in the 2013 GT500 the most powerful production V8 currently produced in the world. “Anyone who thinks that we just bolted a TVS supercharger on it is just crazy,” Jamal Hameedi, SVT’s chief engineer, told us at the L.A. Auto Show.
As proof that the changes to the GT500’s engine are more than a few bolt-ons, Ford had the new 5.8-liter engine on display at the L.A. Auto Show with cutouts showing the various upgrades that were done compared to the previous 5.4-liter V8. You can see detailed photos of the engine below, as well as a summary of the upgrades that were made to the new 5.8-liter engine.
Photos © 2011 MustangsDaily.com
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition on display at Barrett-Jackson
- Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson
- Video: Hot Rod Magazine test drives the 2011 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- 2013 Shelby GT500 reviews hit the web
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Order Guide
- Special 2013 Shelby GT500 to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes to the track
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications