A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500′s 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
It might be easy to assume that there aren’t too many differences between the old 5.4-liter V8 in the 2012 Shelby GT500 and the new 5.8-liter V8 in the 2013 Shelby GT500. After all, the two engines look relatively the same and it’s fairly easy to add more displacement, right? Of course, that’s not the case as both Ford and SVT worked hard over the past year to make the 650 horsepower supercharged 5.8-liter V8 in the 2013 GT500 the most powerful production V8 currently produced in the world. “Anyone who thinks that we just bolted a TVS supercharger on it is just crazy,” Jamal Hameedi, SVT’s chief engineer, told us at the L.A. Auto Show.
As proof that the changes to the GT500′s engine are more than a few bolt-ons, Ford had the new 5.8-liter engine on display at the L.A. Auto Show with cutouts showing the various upgrades that were done compared to the previous 5.4-liter V8. You can see detailed photos of the engine below, as well as a summary of the upgrades that were made to the new 5.8-liter engine.
Photos © 2011 MustangsDaily.com
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: Evolution Performance and Lund Racing tune the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 top speed testing at the Nardo Ring
- Video: Ford shows off 2013 Shelby GT500's launch control system
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- Report: 2013 Shelby GT500 capable of mid 11 second 1/4 mile times
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 burnout
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Red Candy