2012 Ford Mustang GT/Boss 302 named to Car and Driver’s 10 Best list
Today Car and Driver announced their annual 10 Best list, and to no surprise the 2012 Ford Mustang was included on the list. Car and Driver specifically singled out the GT and Boss 302 models, praising Ford’s engineers for creating “a new standard” for muscle cars. The 2012 Mustang was one of three American cars on the list, the other two being the Ford Focus and Cadillac CTS-V, and the only muscle/pony car to be selected. Other vehicles on the list include the Mazda MX-5 Miata, Porsche Boxster, Volkswagen Golf/GTI and BMW 3-Series.
Here’s what Car and Driver had to say about the 2012 Ford Mustang GT/Boss 302:
What the Boss 302 did for the Mustang GT is not too dissimilar from what the Stradivari family did for the violin. The basic instrument (the violin, the Mustang GT) was already pretty great. Near perfection. Then someone (a Stradivari, Ford Mustang engineers) managed to create a new standard for all other luthiers and/or muscle-car makers. Which are kind of the same people. Okay, they’re not, but the point is that nothing can touch the Boss at $41,105. With its screaming 7500-rpm, 444-hp, 5.0-liter V-8, it’ll rip off 60 mph in four seconds flat, break the quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 117 mph, stop from 70 in 155 feet, and hold the road at 0.95 g. If you are wondering, those numbers are on par with the $20,970-pricier BMW M3 coupe. And don’t forget the Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition, good for one second around its namesake track. Our biggest complaints are that the steering wheel lacks a telescoping feature and that steering feedback is, at best, vague. We got over it, and so can you. Also, as one of us found out, your significant other may have a problem riding around in a car that has “Boss” emblazoned on its side. Then again, if 40 large is too rich, the Stang GT doesn’t disappoint. It’s short 32 horses and lacks the track-ready suspension of the Boss, but it’s an astounding instrument in its own right.
You can read more about Car and Driver’s 2012 10 Best list here.
- J.D. Power names Ford Mustang as the most dependable car in its class
- The Mustang Boss 302's 5.0L V8 named to Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2012
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000
- 2012 Mustang Boss 302 named as one of Automobile Magazine's All-Stars
- 2011 Ford Mustang named as one of Automobile Magazine's All-Stars
- 2012 Mustang selected as one of NADAguides 'recommended buys'
- Motor Trend crowns the 2011 Mustang the V6 ponycar king
- Ward's names the Mustang's 5.0L V8 one of the 10 best engines of 2011
- 2011 Ford Mustang GT named one of Car and Driver's 10 Best for 2011