Ford Racing unveils Mustang Boss 302SX Concept at PRI
Last week Ford introduced the new 2013 Mustang Cobra Jet at the PRI show in Florida, but it wasn’t the only Mustang at the Ford Racing booth. Also on display was this one-off road racer concept named the Boss 302SX. This unique Mustang is described by Ford Racing as the “ultimate track day car” and slots in between the Boss 302S and the Boss 302R race cars. On the outside the Boss 302SX features the styling changes found on the 2013 Boss 302 including the more aggressive front end, vented hood and 1970-style graphics, along with a more aggressive front splitter and adjustable rear wing for increased downforce. Under the hood Ford has installed a fully built 5.0L V8 producing over 500 horsepower, utilizing the same intake manifold found on the new Cobra Jet. The V8 is mated to the 6-speed transmission from the Boss 302R, and the powertrain has been upgraded with an improved oil cooler, fuel system and Ford Racing mufflers. The chassis has been specifically tuned for the race track with an adjustable coilover suspension, adjustable front and rear sway bars, tubular rear lower control arms and adjustable caster/camber plates. Lightweight 18×9.5-inch wheels are wrapped with a set of racing slicks, while Brembo brakes front and rear with a specially calibrated ABS system provide the necessary stopping power. Finally, the interior of the Boss 302SX Concept has been stripped out and replaced with an FIA-spec 6-point roll cage, a single Recaro race seat and a quick-release steering wheel. A data acquisition system has also been added to record lap times.
While the Boss 302SX is strictly a concept for now, a production version can’t be completely counted out. Ford Racing’s Jesse Kershaw tells us that they are “testing the water for feedback” and are currently discovering whether “there is a market for a car that is a step above the Boss 302S.”
You can see photos of the Ford Mustang Boss 302SX Concept on display at PRI in the gallery below.
[Source: Ford Racing]
- First time winners take home the trophies at second round of Cobra Jet Showdown
- Ford Racing announces performance intake manifold for the 3-valve 4.6L V8
- Ford Racing doubles warranty on select crate engines to 2 years / 24,000 miles
- Ford Racing to offer select Boss 302 parts in the FRPP catalog
- New Product: Supercharged 2014 Cobra Jet Crate Engine
- Video: First Whipple-powered 2011 Mustang heads to the drag strip
- Ford Racing announces contingency package and driver registration for 2011
- New Product: Boss 302S wheels now available from Ford Racing
- Roush announces details, pricing for Ford Racing Aluminator engine upgrade
- New Product: Ford Racing coil covers for the 2011+ Mustang 5.0