Ford Racing unveils Mustang Boss 302SX Concept at PRI
Last week Ford introduced the new 2013 Mustang Cobra Jet at the PRI show in Florida, but it wasn’t the only Mustang at the Ford Racing booth. Also on display was this one-off road racer concept named the Boss 302SX. This unique Mustang is described by Ford Racing as the “ultimate track day car” and slots in between the Boss 302S and the Boss 302R race cars. On the outside the Boss 302SX features the styling changes found on the 2013 Boss 302 including the more aggressive front end, vented hood and 1970-style graphics, along with a more aggressive front splitter and adjustable rear wing for increased downforce. Under the hood Ford has installed a fully built 5.0L V8 producing over 500 horsepower, utilizing the same intake manifold found on the new Cobra Jet. The V8 is mated to the 6-speed transmission from the Boss 302R, and the powertrain has been upgraded with an improved oil cooler, fuel system and Ford Racing mufflers. The chassis has been specifically tuned for the race track with an adjustable coilover suspension, adjustable front and rear sway bars, tubular rear lower control arms and adjustable caster/camber plates. Lightweight 18×9.5-inch wheels are wrapped with a set of racing slicks, while Brembo brakes front and rear with a specially calibrated ABS system provide the necessary stopping power. Finally, the interior of the Boss 302SX Concept has been stripped out and replaced with an FIA-spec 6-point roll cage, a single Recaro race seat and a quick-release steering wheel. A data acquisition system has also been added to record lap times.
While the Boss 302SX is strictly a concept for now, a production version can’t be completely counted out. Ford Racing’s Jesse Kershaw tells us that they are “testing the water for feedback” and are currently discovering whether “there is a market for a car that is a step above the Boss 302S.”
You can see photos of the Ford Mustang Boss 302SX Concept on display at PRI in the gallery below.
[Source: Ford Racing]
- New Product: Ford Racing 90mm throttle body for the 2011+ Mustang GT
- New Product: Ford Racing 15-inch Brake Upgrade for the 2005-2014 Mustang
- Multimatic's Scott Maxwell discusses the progress of the Mustang Boss 302R race car
- New Product: Ford Racing 5.0L DOHC Aluminator Crate Engine NA
- Ford Racing adds two new wheel options for the S197 Mustang
- New Product: Ford Racing announces 2011 Mustang GT sport mufflers
- Video: Watch the 2013 Mustang Cobra Jet get assembled
- Ford Racing to attempt half-mile speed record with supercharged 2011 Mustang GT
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. captures 2010 Formula Drift championship
- Video: Coyote Countdown at the Carlisle All Ford Nationals