The Mustang Boss 302’s 5.0L V8 named to Ward’s 10 Best Engines list for 2012
Today Ward’s released their annual 10 Best Engines list for 2012, and the Ford Mustang Boss 302’s V8 was included in the recipients. This is the second year that Ford’s 5.0-liter V8 has been awarded the honor, after the Mustang GT’s engine was named to the list for 2011. The Boss 302’s V8 was one of only three engines to not feature direct injection, the largest displacement engine on the list, and the only V8 to be given the award. With 444 horsepower the 5.0-liter V8 was also by far the most powerful among the ten engines.
WardsAuto editors chose the winners after spending October and November driving 36 vehicles with 34 new or significantly upgraded engines in their routine daily commutes around metro Detroit. Editors scored each engine based on power, technology, observed fuel economy and noise, vibration and harshness characteristics. There was no instrumented testing. To be eligible, each engine must be available in a regular-production U.S.-specification model on sale no later than first-quarter 2012, in a vehicle with a base price below $55,000. Winners from the 2011 competition were automatically eligible and evaluated against the new engines for 2012. The awards will be presented at a Jan. 11 ceremony in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show.
- Ward's names the Mustang's 5.0L V8 one of the 10 best engines of 2011
- 2012 Mustang Boss 302 named as one of Automobile Magazine's All-Stars
- Hagerty names Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca as one of 2012's top ten future classics
- Consumer Reports names 2012 Ford Mustang GT as top pick in sporty car category
- 2011 Ford Mustang named as one of Automobile Magazine's All-Stars
- Ford Mustang wins Cars.com 2010 Shoppers' Choice Award
- Bloomberg names the Ford Mustang GT the best sports car of 2010
- 2012 Ford Mustang GT/Boss 302 named to Car and Driver's 10 Best list
- 2012 Mustang Boss 302 wins Cars.com's 'Play Car of the Year'
- 2012 Mustang Boss 302 receives MotorWeek's "Best of the Year" Drivers' Choice Award