The Mustang Boss 302’s 5.0L V8 named to Ward’s 10 Best Engines list for 2012
Today Ward’s released their annual 10 Best Engines list for 2012, and the Ford Mustang Boss 302’s V8 was included in the recipients. This is the second year that Ford’s 5.0-liter V8 has been awarded the honor, after the Mustang GT’s engine was named to the list for 2011. The Boss 302’s V8 was one of only three engines to not feature direct injection, the largest displacement engine on the list, and the only V8 to be given the award. With 444 horsepower the 5.0-liter V8 was also by far the most powerful among the ten engines.
WardsAuto editors chose the winners after spending October and November driving 36 vehicles with 34 new or significantly upgraded engines in their routine daily commutes around metro Detroit. Editors scored each engine based on power, technology, observed fuel economy and noise, vibration and harshness characteristics. There was no instrumented testing. To be eligible, each engine must be available in a regular-production U.S.-specification model on sale no later than first-quarter 2012, in a vehicle with a base price below $55,000. Winners from the 2011 competition were automatically eligible and evaluated against the new engines for 2012. The awards will be presented at a Jan. 11 ceremony in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show.
- 2012 Mustang Boss 302 wins Cars.com's 'Play Car of the Year'
- 2012 Mustang selected as one of NADAguides 'recommended buys'
- 2012 Mustang Boss 302 named as Autobytel's Sports Car of the Year
- 2011 Ford Mustang GT named one of Car and Driver's 10 Best for 2011
- Ford Mustang wins Cars.com 2010 Shoppers' Choice Award
- Hagerty names Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca as one of 2012's top ten future classics
- MSN Autos ranks the 2012 Mustang GT as the "best bang for the buck"
- Motor Trend names the 2011 Mustang GT as one the most impressive cars of 2010
- Popular Mechanics names the Ford Mustang as the Top Performance Car of 2011
- Ward's names the Mustang's 5.0L V8 one of the 10 best engines of 2011