NMRA announces new Coyote Stock class for 2012
Today the NMRA announced a new heads-up drag racing class for the 2012 NMRA Keystone Automotive Ford Nationals season. The Strange Engineering Coyote Stock Presented by 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine will be a spec-engine class, utilizing a sealed version of Ford’s newest powerplant, the 5.0-liter DOHC “Coyote” motor (carrying the unique part number M-6007-M50S) and utilize a spec, sealed processor (CM-12A650-A5LA). The class will be open to all Ford vehicles, 1954 model-year and newer, and each competitor will be required to weigh-in at the same 3200 pounds. Competitors will compete on a true 10.5-inch tire and have a choice of a wide variety of Ford OE and TREMEC manual transmissions utilizing a single-disc diaphragm clutch, or can use the venerable C4 automatic transmission.
The crux of Coyote Stock’s formation was to provide an affordable way for both rookie and veteran drivers to be competitive in a heads-up class without having to undertake an involved, expensive engine program. “Coyote Stock is a great way to return race cars to the track with an affordable engine package. It speaks to the original spirit of NMRA racing,” said Jesse Kershaw, Drag Racing and Competition Manager at Ford Racing, “The Coyote engine is about half the cost of a competitive Factory Stock engine and about one third the price of a Pure Street engine. It also requires far less maintenance.”
Already, racers are embracing the class, with cars being pulled apart in preparation of dropping a Coyote between the rails. “I’ve got a couple cars in my shop getting ready for [Coyote Stock]. I’m looking forward to that build process, actually,” said noted Pure Street racer Steve Gifford. “I’m looking forward to seeing all the different cars and builds. I think we’ll have a CobraJet or two in the class, and possibly a Maverick. The beauty of this class is that as far as equipment goes, the performance difference between cars will be nothing that can’t be made up on the tree and with decent driving.”
For more information of the development of the class, check out the January 2012 issue of Race Pages Magazine, and for the preliminary rules visit the NMRA web site.
- Video: Evolution Performance "Green Goblin" Mustang sets new world record with 8.46 @ 163 mph pass
- New Product: NMRA Coyote Stock Sealed 5.0L V8 Crate Engine
- Modular Depot Turbocharged S197 Mustang runs 8.99 sec @ 154 mph
- Video: Burnout contest goes awry at NMRA/NMCA All Star Nationals
- Video: 2012 Nitto Tire NMRA Spring Break Shootout Highlights
- The Fastest S197 Mustangs Go Head to Head
- 2011 NMRA All-Star Nationals at Atlanta Dragway
- Saleen Speedlab / Brenspeed race car to debut at NMRA Spring Break Shootout
- Video: JPC Racing's 2011 Mustang sets new record with 8.02 second quarter mile pass
- 2011 NMRA West Coast Shootout