2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible to be unveiled in Detroit next month
Last month Ford unveiled the 650 horsepower 2013 Shelby GT500 at the Los Angeles Auto Show, and its probable that very few Mustang fans came away unimpressed. Those that prefer their driving with the top down, however, were possibly left wanting as a convertible version was noticeably absent. Drop-top fans need not fret, though, as TopSpeed.com is now reporting that a convertible version of the 2013 Shelby GT500 will debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit next month.
While Ford has yet to disclose any information regarding the new GT500 Convertible quite yet, it’s easy to speculate about the details. If past models are anything to go by, Ford could likely give the convertible specific suspension tuning, and we wouldn’t be surprised if additional frame support was added to compensate for the structural stiffness lost with the roof. The 202 mph top speed of the coupe is probably out of the question, and a 155 mph limit is more likely. What we do know for sure is that we’ll bring you all the official details once Ford releases them, and we’ll have live coverage of the 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible debut in Detroit next month. Stay tuned…
- Photo Gallery: 2012 Shelby 1000 on display at Barrett-Jackson
- Shelby wrapping up production of 427 Super Snake and 40th Anniversary packages for the GT500
- 2011 Shelby GT500 in high demand, Ford limiting production to 5,500 units
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- SEMA 2012: JF Kustoms 1967 Shelby GT500 "Kardiac"
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake prototype debuts in Monterey
- MGW announces details, pricing for its new Shelby GT500 shifter
- Barrett-Jackson 2014: 1965 Shelby GT350 sells for $374,000
- Shelby completes first production 2011 GT350s, ready to deliver to customers
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GTS live at the New York Auto Show