2013 Shelby GT500 prototype to be sold at Barrett-Jackson for charity
Last month Barrett-Jackson posted a listing on their web site for their upcoming Scottsdale for a ‘special’ 2013 Shelby GT500, lot #3043. At the time we didn’t know exactly what the car would be, but expected it to be the first production example of the 2013 GT500. While that’s not what is being auctioned off, bidders will have the chance to purchase a car just as cool – one of the 2013 Shelby GT500 prototypes that was actually driven by Carroll Shelby. The vehicle is designated as a “durability car” and was tested by SVT at Sebring, the Arizona Proving Grounds and at the Route 66 road course. The car will be listed in the official Shelby American Registry, but will unfortunately sold on a bill of sale only and can’t be registered for street.
Here’s the official description for this special 2013 Shelby GT500 from Barrett-Jackson’s web site:
This Shelby GT500 Durability Car is a rare piece of muscle car history, and is the car that the SVT team and Carroll Shelby signed off at the racetrack. It is the genesis and inspiration for today’s Shelby GT500 production Mustangs that are available at Ford dealerships nationwide. “I’m really proud to have my name on this car that you guys [Ford SVT Team] have put together working with my dreams of what I think a car should be. And you made it that and more,” said Carroll Shelby. This Shelby GT500 Durability Car was designed and engineered by the Ford SVT team working together with Carroll Shelby. Ford SVT assembled much of this GT500 Durability by hand and then tested it on Sebring International Raceway, the High-speed Oval track at the Arizona Proving Ground, as well as the Route 66 road course, among others. It was personally piloted by Carroll Shelby during many hours of its testing. As a result of its testing, this Durability Car allowed the production GT500 to feature a 5.8L supercharged aluminum-block V8 engine cranks out 650hp and 600 lb/ft of torque, making it one of the most powerful cars ever built. Handling is world-class with a TORSEN limited-slip differential, carbon fiber one-piece drive shaft, front and rear Bilstein adjustable dampers, performance-tuned front and rear springs and front and rear stabilizer bars. The car stops on a dime with 6-piston Brembo front brake calipers, ABS Ventilated 4-wheel disc brakes and Electronic brake distribution. This vehicle is sold on a bill of sale; it cannot be titled and will be registered in the Official Shelby American Registry.
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 hits the racetrack
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 0-60 mph in 3.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec @ 126 mph
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- Video: Lethal Performance's 2013 Shelby GT500 sets new record with 9.39 second 1/4 mile run
- Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 to the drag strip
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible debut confirmed for Chicago Auto Show
- New Product: Ford Racing Sport Mufflers for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500