President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 “sick”
President Barack Obama recently visited the Washington D.C. Auto Show to check out the latest offerings from the automotive industry. The Commander-in-chief sat in a variety of cars including the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, Dodge Dart, Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2013 Ford Fusion, but his favorite was reportedly the 2013 Shelby GT500. After sitting in the car the President joked “this is what I needed in high school,” and according to sources called the car “sick”.
President Obama also praised the entire U.S. automotive industry, calling the new cars “a testimony to the outstanding work done by workers, American workers, American designers.” He continued, “we are now back in a place where we can compete with any car company in the world. … I’m just very proud of what we’re seeing here.”
You can see President Obama talk about the 2013 Shelby GT500 and the other new American cars at the Washington D.C. Auto Show in the video below.
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible at the Chicago Auto Show
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible debut confirmed for Chicago Auto Show
- Vortech releases air inlet upgrade for the GT500
- 2013 Shelby GT500 to participate in Goodwood Festival of Speed as tribute to Carroll Shelby
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 0-60 mph in 3.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec @ 126 mph