President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 “sick”
President Barack Obama recently visited the Washington D.C. Auto Show to check out the latest offerings from the automotive industry. The Commander-in-chief sat in a variety of cars including the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, Dodge Dart, Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2013 Ford Fusion, but his favorite was reportedly the 2013 Shelby GT500. After sitting in the car the President joked “this is what I needed in high school,” and according to sources called the car “sick”.
President Obama also praised the entire U.S. automotive industry, calling the new cars “a testimony to the outstanding work done by workers, American workers, American designers.” He continued, “we are now back in a place where we can compete with any car company in the world. … I’m just very proud of what we’re seeing here.”
You can see President Obama talk about the 2013 Shelby GT500 and the other new American cars at the Washington D.C. Auto Show in the video below.
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- Special 2013 Shelby GT500 to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible debut confirmed for Chicago Auto Show
- SPEED TV announces winner of Ford Racing Champions Shelby GT500
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 burnout