2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
Late last night Ford released official details and photos of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and today they officially revealed the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Like the coupe that made its debut at the L.A Auto Show, the GT500 Convertible has been upgraded with the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8 with 650 horsepower. The convertible doesn’t have the same 200 mph top speed, though, as Ford has limited it to 155 mph. The Shelby drop top’s performance doesn’t disappoint, though, and Ford says that the 2013 convertible is 3.5 seconds a lap faster around Sebring raceway than the 2012 model.
The launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 also represents the 20th anniversary of SVT, as Ford’s Special Vehicle Team debuted the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra at the Chicago Auto Show back in 1992. To celebrate the occasion, Ford brought out a very rare 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R along with the new Shelby, which we will show you more of later. Until then, check out the photos from the press launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible in the gallery below.
Photos ©2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Motor Trend puts the 2013 Shelby GT500's 200 mph top speed to the test
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 burnout
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 2013 Shelby GT500 durability car raises $300,000 for charity
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Red Candy
- The 2013 Shelby GT500's official top speed? 202 mph.
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- Road & Track gives inside perspective on the 2013 Shelby GT500's Nürburgring testing
- 2013 Shelby GT500 to participate in Goodwood Festival of Speed as tribute to Carroll Shelby
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications