2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
Late last night Ford released official details and photos of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and today they officially revealed the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Like the coupe that made its debut at the L.A Auto Show, the GT500 Convertible has been upgraded with the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8 with 650 horsepower. The convertible doesn’t have the same 200 mph top speed, though, as Ford has limited it to 155 mph. The Shelby drop top’s performance doesn’t disappoint, though, and Ford says that the 2013 convertible is 3.5 seconds a lap faster around Sebring raceway than the 2012 model.
The launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 also represents the 20th anniversary of SVT, as Ford’s Special Vehicle Team debuted the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra at the Chicago Auto Show back in 1992. To celebrate the occasion, Ford brought out a very rare 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R along with the new Shelby, which we will show you more of later. Until then, check out the photos from the press launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible in the gallery below.
Photos ©2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- Video: Evolution Performance and Lund Racing tune the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Photo Gallery: 2010 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Motor Trend puts the 2013 Shelby GT500's 200 mph top speed to the test
- Ford officially announces 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition on display at Barrett-Jackson
- Video: Jay Leno drives the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500