2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
Late last night Ford released official details and photos of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and today they officially revealed the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Like the coupe that made its debut at the L.A Auto Show, the GT500 Convertible has been upgraded with the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8 with 650 horsepower. The convertible doesn’t have the same 200 mph top speed, though, as Ford has limited it to 155 mph. The Shelby drop top’s performance doesn’t disappoint, though, and Ford says that the 2013 convertible is 3.5 seconds a lap faster around Sebring raceway than the 2012 model.
The launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 also represents the 20th anniversary of SVT, as Ford’s Special Vehicle Team debuted the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra at the Chicago Auto Show back in 1992. To celebrate the occasion, Ford brought out a very rare 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R along with the new Shelby, which we will show you more of later. Until then, check out the photos from the press launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible in the gallery below.
Photos ©2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Custom 2013 Shelby GT500 raises $150,000 for the Henry Ford Hospital
- Video: Motor Trend pits the 2011 Shelby GT500 against the Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
- Ultimate Shelby GT500 Super Snake to debut at Detroit Auto Show
- Special 2013 Shelby GT500 to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson
- Video: Hot Rod Magazine test drives the 2011 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- 2013 Shelby GT500 reviews hit the web
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 0-60 mph in 3.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec @ 126 mph
- 2013 Shelby GT500 priced at $54,995