2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
Late last night Ford released official details and photos of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and today they officially revealed the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Like the coupe that made its debut at the L.A Auto Show, the GT500 Convertible has been upgraded with the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8 with 650 horsepower. The convertible doesn’t have the same 200 mph top speed, though, as Ford has limited it to 155 mph. The Shelby drop top’s performance doesn’t disappoint, though, and Ford says that the 2013 convertible is 3.5 seconds a lap faster around Sebring raceway than the 2012 model.
The launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 also represents the 20th anniversary of SVT, as Ford’s Special Vehicle Team debuted the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra at the Chicago Auto Show back in 1992. To celebrate the occasion, Ford brought out a very rare 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R along with the new Shelby, which we will show you more of later. Until then, check out the photos from the press launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible in the gallery below.
Photos ©2012 MustangsDaily.com
- 2013 Shelby GT500 priced at $54,995
- SEMA 2012: JF Kustoms 1967 Shelby GT500 "Kardiac"
- Photo Gallery: 2012 Shelby GT500
- 1968 Shelby GT500 sells for $137,500 at Barrett-Jackson
- 2013 Shelby GT500 prototype to be sold at Barrett-Jackson for charity
- Shelby begins production of first 2013 GT500 Super Snake
- Photo Gallery: Need for Speed Shelby GT500 Hero Car
- President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 "sick"
- Report: 2013 Shelby GT500 capable of mid 11 second 1/4 mile times
- Live photos of the 2011 Shelby GT500 from the Chicago Auto Show