2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
Late last night Ford released official details and photos of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and today they officially revealed the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Like the coupe that made its debut at the L.A Auto Show, the GT500 Convertible has been upgraded with the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8 with 650 horsepower. The convertible doesn’t have the same 200 mph top speed, though, as Ford has limited it to 155 mph. The Shelby drop top’s performance doesn’t disappoint, though, and Ford says that the 2013 convertible is 3.5 seconds a lap faster around Sebring raceway than the 2012 model.
The launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 also represents the 20th anniversary of SVT, as Ford’s Special Vehicle Team debuted the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra at the Chicago Auto Show back in 1992. To celebrate the occasion, Ford brought out a very rare 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R along with the new Shelby, which we will show you more of later. Until then, check out the photos from the press launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible in the gallery below.
Photos ©2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- Photo Gallery: Need for Speed Shelby GT500 Hero Car
- New Product: JLT Super Big Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Deep Impact Blue
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 2013 Shelby GT500 durability car raises $300,000 for charity
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 hits the racetrack
- Ford, Barrett-Jackson to auction off last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible for charity
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- SEMA Preview: 1000 horsepower widebody Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- 2013 Shelby GT500 to participate in Goodwood Festival of Speed as tribute to Carroll Shelby