2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
Late last night Ford released official details and photos of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and today they officially revealed the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Like the coupe that made its debut at the L.A Auto Show, the GT500 Convertible has been upgraded with the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8 with 650 horsepower. The convertible doesn’t have the same 200 mph top speed, though, as Ford has limited it to 155 mph. The Shelby drop top’s performance doesn’t disappoint, though, and Ford says that the 2013 convertible is 3.5 seconds a lap faster around Sebring raceway than the 2012 model.
The launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 also represents the 20th anniversary of SVT, as Ford’s Special Vehicle Team debuted the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra at the Chicago Auto Show back in 1992. To celebrate the occasion, Ford brought out a very rare 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R along with the new Shelby, which we will show you more of later. Until then, check out the photos from the press launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible in the gallery below.
Photos ©2012 MustangsDaily.com
- 2013 Shelby GT500 prototype to be sold at Barrett-Jackson for charity
- Video: Jay Leno drives the 2013 Shelby GT500
- 2013 Shelby GT500 priced at $54,995
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- Road & Track gives inside perspective on the 2013 Shelby GT500's Nürburgring testing
- New Product: Ford Racing Sport Mufflers for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500
- Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Red Candy
- 2013 Shelby GT500 to participate in Goodwood Festival of Speed as tribute to Carroll Shelby