2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
Late last night Ford released official details and photos of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and today they officially revealed the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Like the coupe that made its debut at the L.A Auto Show, the GT500 Convertible has been upgraded with the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8 with 650 horsepower. The convertible doesn’t have the same 200 mph top speed, though, as Ford has limited it to 155 mph. The Shelby drop top’s performance doesn’t disappoint, though, and Ford says that the 2013 convertible is 3.5 seconds a lap faster around Sebring raceway than the 2012 model.
The launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 also represents the 20th anniversary of SVT, as Ford’s Special Vehicle Team debuted the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra at the Chicago Auto Show back in 1992. To celebrate the occasion, Ford brought out a very rare 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R along with the new Shelby, which we will show you more of later. Until then, check out the photos from the press launch of the 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible in the gallery below.
Photos ©2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Shelby begins production of first 2013 GT500 Super Snake
- 2013 Shelby GT500 reviews hit the web
- Video: Evolution Performance and Lund Racing tune the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Photo Gallery: 2012 Shelby GT500
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- Spy Photos: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible caught testing with quad exhaust tips
- Video: Motor Trend pits the 2011 Shelby GT500 against the Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 hits the racetrack
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- Video: Ford shows off 2013 Shelby GT500's launch control system