2015 Mustang to share 2.3-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder with Focus RS?
It’s pretty much a given that the 2015 Mustang will be available with some sort of four-cylinder power, marking the return of the Mustang SVO or perhaps the debut of the Mustang EcoBoost, but the exact powerplant that will be under the hood is still being debated. According to one source, though, the engine could be the same turbocharged four-cylinder that will be found in the next 2015 Focus RS.
Top Gear reports that the next generation Focus RS will be getting a direct-injection 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder producing at least 320 horsepower, and a version of that same engine will also be available in the 2015 Mustang. According to the British car magazine, though, the Mustang’s engine won’t be quite as powerful to prevent internal competition with the V6 model. Motor Trend estimates that the 2015 Mustang’s four-cylinder could produce anywhere between 250 and 300 horsepower. If that’s the case, we’re guessing that Ford would also increase the output of the Mustang V6 to further separate the two models.
- 2015 Ford Mustang face fully revealed in new spy photos
- Photo Gallery: The 2015 Ford Mustang basks in the Southern California sun
- Photo Gallery: 2015 Ford Mustang in Black
- 2015 Ford Mustang rendered with Evos design cues
- Video: The 2015 Ford Mustang unveiled at its home in Dearborn, MI
- 2015 Ford Mustang designated as S550 platform
- The 2015 Ford Mustang could be 400 pounds lighter
- 2015 Ford Mustang Official Photos and Details
- 2015 Ford Mustang rendered by Popular Hot Rodding
- Spy Photos: 2015 Mustang interior revealed