2012 Shelby 1000 revealed ahead of official New York debut
Shelby will introduce its most powerful Shelby yet, the 2012 Shelby 1000, on April 5, 2012, at the New York International Auto Show. Carroll Shelby and his team created the Shelby 1000 by starting with a 2012 Ford Shelby GT500 and kicking its handling, horsepower and braking to the performance edge. The Shelby 1000 will be offered in both a street and a Shelby 1000 S/C “off-road” track version. The street legal, pump gas version dyno’s out at approximately 950 HP, while the track oriented S/C edition is rated at over 1,100 HP.
“Carroll Shelby is a visionary who has pushed the boundaries of performance his entire life,” said John Luft, president of Shelby American. “He challenged the Shelby American team to develop the Shelby 1000 and wanted to unveil this amazing new Shelby at the New York Auto Show celebrating 50 years since he unveiled the very first Shelby Cobra that changed the face of high performance. We will have that very car, Cobra #1 (CSX2000) along with Shelby 1000 on display in our Shelby American booth in New York.”
To build the car that Carroll Shelby envisioned, Shelby American takes Ford’s 5.4 liter V8 down to the block to add new rods, crank and pistons. The team flows the heads, upgrades the cooling and exhaust, replaces the supercharger, tunes it and then sprinkles it with a little Shelby magic.
To complement the new power, the Shelby 1000 has improved the handling and stopping capabilities with 6 pistons in front and 4 pistons in the rear, while the suspension includes new struts, sway bars and bushings. The new solid driveshaft is connected to a new 9-inch rear end. Exterior cues incorporate aerodynamics while maintaining a stealthy appearance. The hood, rear panel and splitter are functional pieces.
A limited production of Shelby 1000s will be built, each numbered and documented. The post-title package for the Shelby 1000 starts at $149,995, not including the base GT500. A completed Shelby 1000 is expected to be approximately $200,000.
Shelby American will accept orders once the Shelby 1000 is unveiled at the New York International Auto Show. Those interested in reserving a car can contact Shelby American at (702) 942-7325 or visit www.shelbyamerican.com after April 5, 2012.
- Shelby to unveil fastest Mustang yet at New York Auto Show
- Photo Gallery: Classic Recreations Shelby GT500CR w/ Coyote 5.0L V8 crate engine
- SPEED TV announces winner of Ford Racing Champions Shelby GT500
- Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
- Winningest 1965 Shelby GT350R to be sold at RM's Amelia Island auction
- Shelby begins production at their new Las Vegas facility
- Video: Meet the engineers behind the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Shelby announces final specs, 624 horsepower "R" tune option for 2011 GT350
- RK Motors debuts custom 1967 Shelby GT500 RK527
- Shelby to raffle 2011 GT350 prototype for charity