Video: Road & Track gets sideway in the 2012 Shelby 1000
Earlier today we broke the news that Shelby would be unveiling their most powerful Mustang yet, the 2012 Shelby 1000, at the New York Auto Show next week. Based on the 2012 Shelby GT500, the 1000 packs a serious punch with a Kenne Bell 3.4L liquid-cooled supercharger system, with the street version producing 950 horsepower and the track-only S/C is rated at an incredible 1,100 horsepower. Additional upgrades include larger front and rear brakes, a coilover suspension system, a stronger clutch and driveshaft, as well as a sturdy 9-inch rear-end. Production of the 2012 Shelby 1000 will be very limited, and it will come at a significant cost as well. The package starts at $149,995 and in total a completed car will ring in at around $200,000.
While we will have to wait until next week to see the Shelby 1000 in person in New York, the lucky guys over at Road & Track were invited to take an early look at the car at Shelby’s facility in Las Vegas, and they even got the chance to drive the car around the road course at Las Vegas Speedway. They didn’t take it easy on the 1000, though, and came away with some fantastic footage of the car getting sideways around the track. Turn up your speakers and take a look at the video below.
- 1965 Shelby GT350 barn find to go up for auction at Barrett-Jackson in January
- New Product: Ford Racing FR3 Handling Pack for the 2011 Shelby GT500
- Shelby announces turbo package for 2005-2009 Mustang GTs
- 2011 Shelby GT500 in high demand, Ford limiting production to 5,500 units
- Ford announces return of the Shelby GT500KR for 2008
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible to be unveiled in Detroit next month
- Shelby president John Luft on the development of the Shelby 1000 and the future of Shelby Mustangs
- SPEED to give away custom Shelby GT500 as Hagerty Fantasty Bid grand prize during Barrett-Jackson
- Shelby announces official details for 2010-2014 Mustang widebody kit
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: 1967 Shelby Terlingua Continuation Mustang fetches $110,000