Video: Road & Track gets sideway in the 2012 Shelby 1000
Earlier today we broke the news that Shelby would be unveiling their most powerful Mustang yet, the 2012 Shelby 1000, at the New York Auto Show next week. Based on the 2012 Shelby GT500, the 1000 packs a serious punch with a Kenne Bell 3.4L liquid-cooled supercharger system, with the street version producing 950 horsepower and the track-only S/C is rated at an incredible 1,100 horsepower. Additional upgrades include larger front and rear brakes, a coilover suspension system, a stronger clutch and driveshaft, as well as a sturdy 9-inch rear-end. Production of the 2012 Shelby 1000 will be very limited, and it will come at a significant cost as well. The package starts at $149,995 and in total a completed car will ring in at around $200,000.
While we will have to wait until next week to see the Shelby 1000 in person in New York, the lucky guys over at Road & Track were invited to take an early look at the car at Shelby’s facility in Las Vegas, and they even got the chance to drive the car around the road course at Las Vegas Speedway. They didn’t take it easy on the 1000, though, and came away with some fantastic footage of the car getting sideways around the track. Turn up your speakers and take a look at the video below.
- Select Shelby GT500KR parts now available from Ford Racing
- Shelby begins production at their new Las Vegas facility
- eBay Find: Rare 2007 Shelby GT-H Convertible with 5-speed manual
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Order Guide
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible to be unveiled in Detroit next month
- Motor Trend tests the 2011 Shelby GT350 prototype, hits 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds
- 1965 Shelby GT350R going up for auction later this month
- Classic Recreations announces availability of Shelby GT500CR Venom
- Classic Recreations to offer Shelby GT350CR model
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody