2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
Ford and SVT shocked the automotive world when it announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 would be packing 650 horsepower – the highest of any production V8 in the world – thanks to a new 5.8-liter supercharged V8. That extra horsepower, combined with improved aerodynamics and revised gearing, allows for an incredible top speed of 202 mph, putting the new Shelby in an elite group of supercars at a fraction of the cost.
As if that weren’t impressive enough, it now looks like the production Shelby GT500 could be officially rated with more horsepower and torque when it’s released in the summer. At a special sneak preview of the car last week in Los Angeles for a select number of Shelby owners, Jim Owens, VP of marketing for Shelby and Boss 302, and Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief engineer, revealed that the 2013 GT500 was recently certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque.
Amazingly, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will also have improved fuel consumption – 16 city / 24 highway compared to 15/23 for 2012 – thanks to taller gearing. This means that the 2013 GT500 will once again avoid the gas guzzler tax.
We’ve just received word from Ford that the 2013 Shelby GT500 will be officially rated at 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque, and the mpg rating is 15 city / 24 highway, 18 mpg combined.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Shelby president John Luft on the development of the Shelby 1000 and the future of Shelby Mustangs
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible at the Chicago Auto Show
- SEMA 2012: JF Kustoms 1967 Shelby GT500 "Kardiac"
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- Photo Gallery: Need for Speed Shelby GT500 Hero Car
- Photo Gallery: 1968 Shelby EXP 500 "Green Hornet"
- Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
- Motor Trend puts the 2013 Shelby GT500's 200 mph top speed to the test
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody