2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
Ford and SVT shocked the automotive world when it announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 would be packing 650 horsepower – the highest of any production V8 in the world – thanks to a new 5.8-liter supercharged V8. That extra horsepower, combined with improved aerodynamics and revised gearing, allows for an incredible top speed of 202 mph, putting the new Shelby in an elite group of supercars at a fraction of the cost.
As if that weren’t impressive enough, it now looks like the production Shelby GT500 could be officially rated with more horsepower and torque when it’s released in the summer. At a special sneak preview of the car last week in Los Angeles for a select number of Shelby owners, Jim Owens, VP of marketing for Shelby and Boss 302, and Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief engineer, revealed that the 2013 GT500 was recently certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque.
Amazingly, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will also have improved fuel consumption – 16 city / 24 highway compared to 15/23 for 2012 – thanks to taller gearing. This means that the 2013 GT500 will once again avoid the gas guzzler tax.
We’ve just received word from Ford that the 2013 Shelby GT500 will be officially rated at 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque, and the mpg rating is 15 city / 24 highway, 18 mpg combined.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 at the L.A. Auto Show
- 2013 Shelby GT500 prototype to be sold at Barrett-Jackson for charity
- The 2013 Shelby GT500's official top speed? 202 mph.
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- Video: Ford shows off 2013 Shelby GT500's launch control system
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: Evolution Performance and Lund Racing tune the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Report: 2013 Shelby GT500 capable of mid 11 second 1/4 mile times
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- New Product: Ford Racing Sport Mufflers for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500