2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
Ford and SVT shocked the automotive world when it announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 would be packing 650 horsepower – the highest of any production V8 in the world – thanks to a new 5.8-liter supercharged V8. That extra horsepower, combined with improved aerodynamics and revised gearing, allows for an incredible top speed of 202 mph, putting the new Shelby in an elite group of supercars at a fraction of the cost.
As if that weren’t impressive enough, it now looks like the production Shelby GT500 could be officially rated with more horsepower and torque when it’s released in the summer. At a special sneak preview of the car last week in Los Angeles for a select number of Shelby owners, Jim Owens, VP of marketing for Shelby and Boss 302, and Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief engineer, revealed that the 2013 GT500 was recently certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque.
Amazingly, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will also have improved fuel consumption – 16 city / 24 highway compared to 15/23 for 2012 – thanks to taller gearing. This means that the 2013 GT500 will once again avoid the gas guzzler tax.
We’ve just received word from Ford that the 2013 Shelby GT500 will be officially rated at 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque, and the mpg rating is 15 city / 24 highway, 18 mpg combined.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Custom 2013 Shelby GT500 raises $150,000 for the Henry Ford Hospital
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- Spy Photos: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible caught testing with quad exhaust tips
- 2013 Shelby GT500 priced at $54,995
- Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 top speed testing at the Nardo Ring
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- Video: Evolution Performance and Lund Racing tune the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: Jay Leno drives the 2013 Shelby GT500