2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
Ford and SVT shocked the automotive world when it announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 would be packing 650 horsepower – the highest of any production V8 in the world – thanks to a new 5.8-liter supercharged V8. That extra horsepower, combined with improved aerodynamics and revised gearing, allows for an incredible top speed of 202 mph, putting the new Shelby in an elite group of supercars at a fraction of the cost.
As if that weren’t impressive enough, it now looks like the production Shelby GT500 could be officially rated with more horsepower and torque when it’s released in the summer. At a special sneak preview of the car last week in Los Angeles for a select number of Shelby owners, Jim Owens, VP of marketing for Shelby and Boss 302, and Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief engineer, revealed that the 2013 GT500 was recently certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque.
Amazingly, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will also have improved fuel consumption – 16 city / 24 highway compared to 15/23 for 2012 – thanks to taller gearing. This means that the 2013 GT500 will once again avoid the gas guzzler tax.
We’ve just received word from Ford that the 2013 Shelby GT500 will be officially rated at 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque, and the mpg rating is 15 city / 24 highway, 18 mpg combined.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- 1967 Shelby GT500 Barn Find discovered in Death Valley
- New Product: JLT Super Big Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible at the Chicago Auto Show
- 1968 Shelby GT500 sells for $137,500 at Barrett-Jackson
- Video: Ford shows off 2013 Shelby GT500's launch control system
- Video: Watch the Shelby GT500 hit 190 mph on the Autobahn
- Ultimate Shelby GT500 Super Snake to debut at Detroit Auto Show
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes to the track