Video: Burnout contest goes awry at NMRA/NMCA All Star Nationals
Burnout contests probably don’t make much sense to the non gear-head, and we can’t blame them for not completely understanding a competition to see who can obliterate their rear tires for the longest amount of time. Even so, burnouts are just as much part of drag racing as just about anything, and who doesn’t enjoy seeing a muscle car conjure up a nice cloud of shredded tires?
Sometimes, though, a burnout produces more than just smoke. At the 4th annual NMRA/NMCA All Star Nationals in Commerce, Georgia last month one Mustang owner found out what happens when you burn too much of your tires. After more than 25 seconds of tearing up the pavement the rear tires of the Mustang give way and burst into flames. Fortunately the safety crew at the drag strip is close by, and the flames aren’t able to spread anywhere else on the car.
You can watch the fiery burnout for yourself in the video below.
- 2011 NMRA All-Star Nationals at Atlanta Dragway
- Video: Evolution Performance "Green Goblin" Mustang sets new world record with 8.46 @ 163 mph pass
- Roush announces sponsorship of NMRA Super Stang Class
- Video: Twin-Turbo 2011 Mustang runs a 9.42 @ 150 mph
- Modular Depot Turbocharged S197 Mustang runs 8.99 sec @ 154 mph
- NMRA to host Terminator/GT500 Shootout in Maryland
- Video: JPC Racing's 2011 Mustang sets new record with 8.02 second quarter mile pass
- Video: 2012 Nitto Tire NMRA Spring Break Shootout Highlights
- Saleen Speedlab / Brenspeed race car to debut at NMRA Spring Break Shootout
- Video: Evolution Performance 2011 Mustang does wheel stand at NMRA finals