Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
When Ford announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 back in November the new aluminum block 5.8-liter V8 was initially rated at an astounding 650 horsepower. As if that weren’t enough, Ford updated the rating last month to 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque. However, it looks like those numbers aren’t necessarily a true reflection of the new GT500’s horsepower rating, as recently found out by Steve Turner, editor-in-chief of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine, at the press launch for the car last week.
In between laps at Road Atlanta and making passes at Atlanta Dragway, Turner managed to sneak one of the cars away for a quick dyno test and found that the 2013 Shelby GT500 put out an astounding 609 rear wheel horsepower. Factor in a fifteen percent drivetrain loss and the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 is producing closer to 715 horsepower at the crank. Even with a conservative ten percent drivetrain loss figured in, the Shelby would still be putting out over 675 horsepower, well over the official rating.
You can watch the dyno test of the 2013 Shelby GT500 in the video below.
- SPEED to give away custom Shelby GT500 as Hagerty Fantasty Bid grand prize during Barrett-Jackson
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Order Guide
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible at the Chicago Auto Show
- Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 top speed testing at the Nardo Ring
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Deep Impact Blue
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- SEMA 2012: JF Kustoms 1967 Shelby GT500 "Kardiac"
- Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
- Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson