Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
When Ford announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 back in November the new aluminum block 5.8-liter V8 was initially rated at an astounding 650 horsepower. As if that weren’t enough, Ford updated the rating last month to 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque. However, it looks like those numbers aren’t necessarily a true reflection of the new GT500’s horsepower rating, as recently found out by Steve Turner, editor-in-chief of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine, at the press launch for the car last week.
In between laps at Road Atlanta and making passes at Atlanta Dragway, Turner managed to sneak one of the cars away for a quick dyno test and found that the 2013 Shelby GT500 put out an astounding 609 rear wheel horsepower. Factor in a fifteen percent drivetrain loss and the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 is producing closer to 715 horsepower at the crank. Even with a conservative ten percent drivetrain loss figured in, the Shelby would still be putting out over 675 horsepower, well over the official rating.
You can watch the dyno test of the 2013 Shelby GT500 in the video below.
- Video: Watch the Shelby GT500 hit 190 mph on the Autobahn
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition on display at Barrett-Jackson
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000
- Photo Gallery: 2010 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- 2013 Shelby GT500 to participate in Goodwood Festival of Speed as tribute to Carroll Shelby
- Video: Motor Trend pits the 2011 Shelby GT500 against the Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R
- New Product: Ford Racing Sport Mufflers for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 2013 Shelby GT500 durability car raises $300,000 for charity
- New Product: Vortech Maxflow Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake for the Shelby GT500