Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
When Ford announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 back in November the new aluminum block 5.8-liter V8 was initially rated at an astounding 650 horsepower. As if that weren’t enough, Ford updated the rating last month to 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque. However, it looks like those numbers aren’t necessarily a true reflection of the new GT500’s horsepower rating, as recently found out by Steve Turner, editor-in-chief of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine, at the press launch for the car last week.
In between laps at Road Atlanta and making passes at Atlanta Dragway, Turner managed to sneak one of the cars away for a quick dyno test and found that the 2013 Shelby GT500 put out an astounding 609 rear wheel horsepower. Factor in a fifteen percent drivetrain loss and the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 is producing closer to 715 horsepower at the crank. Even with a conservative ten percent drivetrain loss figured in, the Shelby would still be putting out over 675 horsepower, well over the official rating.
You can watch the dyno test of the 2013 Shelby GT500 in the video below.
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Deep Impact Blue
- Photo Gallery: 2012 Shelby GT500
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Ford, Barrett-Jackson to auction off last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible for charity
- Vortech releases air inlet upgrade for the GT500
- 2013 Shelby GT500 reviews hit the web
- Ford officially announces 2010 Shelby GT500 with 540 horsepower
- Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 to the drag strip
- Video: Lethal Performance's 2013 Shelby GT500 sets new record with 9.39 second 1/4 mile run