Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
When Ford announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 back in November the new aluminum block 5.8-liter V8 was initially rated at an astounding 650 horsepower. As if that weren’t enough, Ford updated the rating last month to 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque. However, it looks like those numbers aren’t necessarily a true reflection of the new GT500’s horsepower rating, as recently found out by Steve Turner, editor-in-chief of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine, at the press launch for the car last week.
In between laps at Road Atlanta and making passes at Atlanta Dragway, Turner managed to sneak one of the cars away for a quick dyno test and found that the 2013 Shelby GT500 put out an astounding 609 rear wheel horsepower. Factor in a fifteen percent drivetrain loss and the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 is producing closer to 715 horsepower at the crank. Even with a conservative ten percent drivetrain loss figured in, the Shelby would still be putting out over 675 horsepower, well over the official rating.
You can watch the dyno test of the 2013 Shelby GT500 in the video below.
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible debut confirmed for Chicago Auto Show
- Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson
- SPEED TV to give away custom 2013 Shelby GT500 during Barrett-Jackson
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- 1967 Shelby GT500 Barn Find discovered in Death Valley
- Ford releases official details on 2011 Shelby GT500 including new aluminum block V8
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- Photo Gallery: 2012 Shelby GT500
- 1968 Shelby GT500 sells for $137,500 at Barrett-Jackson
- 2013 Shelby GT500 priced at $54,995