Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
When Ford announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 back in November the new aluminum block 5.8-liter V8 was initially rated at an astounding 650 horsepower. As if that weren’t enough, Ford updated the rating last month to 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque. However, it looks like those numbers aren’t necessarily a true reflection of the new GT500’s horsepower rating, as recently found out by Steve Turner, editor-in-chief of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine, at the press launch for the car last week.
In between laps at Road Atlanta and making passes at Atlanta Dragway, Turner managed to sneak one of the cars away for a quick dyno test and found that the 2013 Shelby GT500 put out an astounding 609 rear wheel horsepower. Factor in a fifteen percent drivetrain loss and the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 is producing closer to 715 horsepower at the crank. Even with a conservative ten percent drivetrain loss figured in, the Shelby would still be putting out over 675 horsepower, well over the official rating.
You can watch the dyno test of the 2013 Shelby GT500 in the video below.
- Photo Gallery: Need for Speed Shelby GT500 Hero Car
- New Product: Ford Racing Sport Mufflers for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500
- New Product: K&N Cold Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
- Ford officially announces 2010 Shelby GT500 with 540 horsepower
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Shelby president John Luft on the development of the Shelby 1000 and the future of Shelby Mustangs
- Video: First 2013 Shelby GT500 in the 9s
- SEMA Preview: 1000 horsepower widebody Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Road & Track gives inside perspective on the 2013 Shelby GT500's Nürburgring testing