Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
When Ford announced the 2013 Shelby GT500 back in November the new aluminum block 5.8-liter V8 was initially rated at an astounding 650 horsepower. As if that weren’t enough, Ford updated the rating last month to 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque. However, it looks like those numbers aren’t necessarily a true reflection of the new GT500′s horsepower rating, as recently found out by Steve Turner, editor-in-chief of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine, at the press launch for the car last week.
In between laps at Road Atlanta and making passes at Atlanta Dragway, Turner managed to sneak one of the cars away for a quick dyno test and found that the 2013 Shelby GT500 put out an astounding 609 rear wheel horsepower. Factor in a fifteen percent drivetrain loss and the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 is producing closer to 715 horsepower at the crank. Even with a conservative ten percent drivetrain loss figured in, the Shelby would still be putting out over 675 horsepower, well over the official rating.
You can watch the dyno test of the 2013 Shelby GT500 in the video below.
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 top speed testing at the Nardo Ring
- SPEED TV to give away custom 2013 Shelby GT500 during Barrett-Jackson
- Video: First 2013 Shelby GT500 in the 9s
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- Road & Track gives inside perspective on the 2013 Shelby GT500's Nürburgring testing
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Video: Lethal Performance's 2013 Shelby GT500 sets new record with 9.39 second 1/4 mile run