Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- Code Red: Shelby and Nelson Racing Engines team up for 1000 rwhp twin-turbo GT500 prototype
- Spy Photos: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible caught testing with quad exhaust tips
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- Road & Track gives inside perspective on the 2013 Shelby GT500's Nürburgring testing
- SVT chief: The Boss 302 was the motivation for the 2013 Shelby GT500, not the Camaro ZL1
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition on display at Barrett-Jackson
- Ford officially announces 2010 Shelby GT500 with 540 horsepower
- Video: Hot Rod Magazine test drives the 2011 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- New Product: JLT Super Big Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500