Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 hits the racetrack
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- Shelby begins production of first 2013 GT500 Super Snake
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody
- New Product: Ford Racing Sport Mufflers for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500
- Video: Evolution Performance and Lund Racing tune the 2013 Shelby GT500
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000
- Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 top speed testing at the Nardo Ring
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- Photo Gallery: 2012 Shelby GT500