Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 0-60 mph in 3.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec @ 126 mph
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible debut confirmed for Chicago Auto Show
- Video: First 2013 Shelby GT500 in the 9s
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Red Candy
- New Product: JLT Super Big Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500
- Ford releases official details on 2011 Shelby GT500 including new aluminum block V8
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG