Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- Video: Hot Rod Magazine test drives the 2011 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible at the Chicago Auto Show
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- The 2013 Shelby GT500's official top speed? 202 mph.
- Video: Meet the engineers behind the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Motor Trend puts the 2013 Shelby GT500's 200 mph top speed to the test
- Video: Ford shows off 2013 Shelby GT500's launch control system
- Ultimate Shelby GT500 Super Snake to debut at Detroit Auto Show