Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody
- SEMA Preview: 1000 horsepower widebody Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- The 2013 Shelby GT500's official top speed? 202 mph.
- 1968 Shelby GT500 sells for $137,500 at Barrett-Jackson
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 at the L.A. Auto Show
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- Shelby begins production of first 2013 GT500 Super Snake
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8