Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- Video: Lethal Performance's 2013 Shelby GT500 sets new record with 9.39 second 1/4 mile run
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Custom 2013 Shelby GT500 raises $150,000 for the Henry Ford Hospital
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 at the L.A. Auto Show
- 2013 Shelby GT500 prototype to be sold at Barrett-Jackson for charity
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Shelby president John Luft on the development of the Shelby 1000 and the future of Shelby Mustangs
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
- Photo Gallery: 1968 Shelby EXP 500 "Green Hornet"