Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- SPEED to give away custom Shelby GT500 as Hagerty Fantasty Bid grand prize during Barrett-Jackson
- New Product: Ford Racing Sport Mufflers for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500
- SEMA 2012: JF Kustoms 1967 Shelby GT500 "Kardiac"
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- SVT chief: The Boss 302 was the motivation for the 2013 Shelby GT500, not the Camaro ZL1
- SEMA Preview: 1000 horsepower widebody Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 hits the racetrack
- Special 2013 Shelby GT500 to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson
- Video: Watch the Shelby GT500 hit 190 mph on the Autobahn
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 200 mph was the goal