Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 "sick"
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Deep Impact Blue
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Red Candy
- 2013 Shelby GT500 to participate in Goodwood Festival of Speed as tribute to Carroll Shelby
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- The 2013 Shelby GT500's official top speed? 202 mph.
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 0-60 mph in 3.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec @ 126 mph
- Report: 2013 Shelby GT500 capable of mid 11 second 1/4 mile times