Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 to the drag strip
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 hits the racetrack
- New Product: K&N Cold Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500
- Photo Gallery: Need for Speed Shelby GT500 Hero Car
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
- Motor Trend puts the 2013 Shelby GT500's 200 mph top speed to the test
- The legendary Carroll Shelby passes away at age 89