Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
Back in October Ford SVT engineers headed out to Sebring International Raceway in Florida to do durability testing with the 2013 Shelby GT500. The late Carroll Shelby was also in attendance to give his approval to the car, and it just so happened that this would be the last time that he would be working with Ford to build a vehicle bearing his name.
If you ever had a doubt that Carroll had a very tangible influence on Shelby products later in his life, then you’d better think again. As one engineer put it, “He tells when we’ve got it right, and in the most brutal way he’ll tell us if we’ve got it wrong.” Of course, Carroll gave more than just his input and provided motivation as well. “Carroll’s not only the guy who has his name on the car, he’s our inspiration,” said another engineer.
Thankfully Ford had the cameras rolling at Sebring to capture what is now historic footage of Shelby with one of his very last creations. You can watch the video below.
- Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson
- Code Red: Shelby and Nelson Racing Engines team up for 1000 rwhp twin-turbo GT500 prototype
- Video: 2011 Shelby Super Snake vs Shelby 427 Cobra
- Shelby president John Luft on the development of the Shelby 1000 and the future of Shelby Mustangs
- Lysholm supercharger kits for 2007-2009 Shelby GT500s now available for order
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- 2013 Shelby GT500 to participate in Goodwood Festival of Speed as tribute to Carroll Shelby