2013 Shelby GT500 to participate in Goodwood Festival of Speed as tribute to Carroll Shelby
Today Ford announced that the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 will appear at the 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed this week in a fitting tribute to the late Carroll Shelby. For its first appearance outside America, the US-only supercar will blast up the famous Goodwood hillclimb driven by guest race drivers. The iconic Zakspeed Capri is also set to sprint up the hill, challenging the 1.16-mile hillclimb speed record of 41.6 seconds, set by Nick Heidfeld in 1999.
The Shelby GT500 Mustang is powered by an aluminium 5.8-liter supercharged V8, producing 662 horsepower and 631 pound-feet of torque. The most powerful engine ever in a North American production car, it is capable of powering the GT500 to 200-plus mph. Featuring Brembo six-piston (front) brakes, the Shelby GT500 has updated gearing, superior traction management, suspension tuning and a user-adjustable launch control that works seamlessly with the engine and chassis control systems.
Downforce-generating front grilles, an aggressive splitter, a new quad-exhaust system and new forged-aluminium wheels differentiate the Shelby GT500 from other Mustang models. The Goodwood-prepped GT500 is also equipped with an optional Performance Package featuring electronically adjustable dampers and a Torsen limited-slip differential, plus an additional Track Package with three additional coolers for maximum track performance.
Ford has been a major sponsor of the Goodwood Festival of Speed since its inception in 1993 and is showing a variety of important racecars at its exhibits at Goodwood this week.
- Video: Meet the engineers behind the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: Lethal Performance's 2013 Shelby GT500 sets new record with 9.39 second 1/4 mile run
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible debut confirmed for Chicago Auto Show
- Video: First 2013 Shelby GT500 in the 9s
- 2013 Shelby GT500 reviews hit the web
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes to the track
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 2013 Shelby GT500 durability car raises $300,000 for charity
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 "sick"