Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 to the drag strip
Following up on their previous videos introducing you to the SVT engineering team, giving an inside look at the testing at the Nardo Ring in Germany and showing off the 2013 Shelby GT500’s launch control system, the most recent footage released by Ford displays the 661 horsepower Mustang’s capabilities at the Speedworld 1/4 mile drag strip near the company’s proving grounds in Arizona. In a way the video is a continuation of the explanation of the new launch control system used on the car, but it also provides more details about how it works on different surfaces and an actual demonstration on track.
So what sort of times did the SVT team achieve at the track? Ford lists their best 1/4 mile time of 11.82 seconds and a trap speed of more than 125 mph, although this number is actually on the conservative side as magazines like Motor Trend have already achieved times as low as 11.6 seconds at 126 mph. Plus, when tuners like Evolution Performance gets their hands on the car, the numbers get even more impressive.
You can see the 2013 Shelby GT500 in action at the drag strip in the video below.
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- Vortech releases air inlet upgrade for the GT500
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- New Product: JLT Super Big Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500
- Video: 2011 Shelby Super Snake vs Shelby 427 Cobra
- Lysholm supercharger kits for 2007-2009 Shelby GT500s now available for order
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Red Candy
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Custom 2013 Shelby GT500 raises $150,000 for the Henry Ford Hospital
- New Product: K&N Cold Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500