Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 to the drag strip
Following up on their previous videos introducing you to the SVT engineering team, giving an inside look at the testing at the Nardo Ring in Germany and showing off the 2013 Shelby GT500′s launch control system, the most recent footage released by Ford displays the 661 horsepower Mustang’s capabilities at the Speedworld 1/4 mile drag strip near the company’s proving grounds in Arizona. In a way the video is a continuation of the explanation of the new launch control system used on the car, but it also provides more details about how it works on different surfaces and an actual demonstration on track.
So what sort of times did the SVT team achieve at the track? Ford lists their best 1/4 mile time of 11.82 seconds and a trap speed of more than 125 mph, although this number is actually on the conservative side as magazines like Motor Trend have already achieved times as low as 11.6 seconds at 126 mph. Plus, when tuners like Evolution Performance gets their hands on the car, the numbers get even more impressive.
You can see the 2013 Shelby GT500 in action at the drag strip in the video below.
- 2013 Shelby GT500 priced at $54,995
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Custom 2013 Shelby GT500 raises $150,000 for the Henry Ford Hospital
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- SPEED TV to give away custom 2013 Shelby GT500 during Barrett-Jackson
- The 2013 Shelby GT500's official top speed? 202 mph.
- Video: Meet the engineers behind the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Report: 2013 Shelby GT500 capable of mid 11 second 1/4 mile times
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system