Video: Ford takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 to the drag strip
Following up on their previous videos introducing you to the SVT engineering team, giving an inside look at the testing at the Nardo Ring in Germany and showing off the 2013 Shelby GT500′s launch control system, the most recent footage released by Ford displays the 661 horsepower Mustang’s capabilities at the Speedworld 1/4 mile drag strip near the company’s proving grounds in Arizona. In a way the video is a continuation of the explanation of the new launch control system used on the car, but it also provides more details about how it works on different surfaces and an actual demonstration on track.
So what sort of times did the SVT team achieve at the track? Ford lists their best 1/4 mile time of 11.82 seconds and a trap speed of more than 125 mph, although this number is actually on the conservative side as magazines like Motor Trend have already achieved times as low as 11.6 seconds at 126 mph. Plus, when tuners like Evolution Performance gets their hands on the car, the numbers get even more impressive.
You can see the 2013 Shelby GT500 in action at the drag strip in the video below.
- 1968 Shelby GT500 sells for $137,500 at Barrett-Jackson
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- Video: 2011 Shelby Super Snake vs Shelby 427 Cobra
- SEMA 2012: JF Kustoms 1967 Shelby GT500 "Kardiac"
- Report: 2013 Shelby GT500 capable of mid 11 second 1/4 mile times
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Code Red: Shelby and Nelson Racing Engines team up for 1000 rwhp twin-turbo GT500 prototype
- Lysholm supercharger kits for 2007-2009 Shelby GT500s now available for order
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody