Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Select Shelby GT500KR parts now available from Ford Racing
- Shelby announces start of production of the GTS
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake prototype debuts in Monterey
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 1968 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $220,000
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 200 mph was the goal
- Video: Lethal Performance's 2013 Shelby GT500 sets new record with 9.39 second 1/4 mile run
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 underrated, dyno tests at 609 rwhp
- Featured: Jason Cenora's Shelby CS8 Mustang
- 1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system