Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Video: Tasca Mod Shop shows off Ford Racing's 750 horsepower Shelby GT500 supercharger
- Photo Gallery: See the first 2013 Shelby GT350 built from start to finish
- Shelby unveils 2012 GT500 Super Snake at New York Auto Show
- Video: Jay Leno drives the 2013 Shelby GT500
- A tour of Classic Recreations, home of the Shelby GT500CR
- Video: Hot Rod Magazine test drives the 2011 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Ford officially announces 2010 Shelby GT500 with 540 horsepower
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 burnout
- 1966 Shelby GT350 SCCA B-Production Race Car nets $159,500 at RM auction
- 2009 Shelby GT500KR owned by Carroll Shelby going up for auction