Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Ford announces return of the Shelby GT500KR for 2008
- Featured: Jason Cenora's Shelby CS8 Mustang
- Shelby releases 2010-2011 parts catalog
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: One-off 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra raises $200,000 for charity
- Video: Watch the Shelby GT500 hit 190 mph on the Autobahn
- Ford to launch Shelby GT350 model in 2016, Mach 1 returning as well
- Photo Gallery: 2010 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- 1965 Shelby GT350 Paxton Prototype sells for $572,000 at RM's Monterey auction
- Video: Hennessey Shelby GT500 with Venom 600R package on the dyno
- One-off Shelby GT500s to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson for charity