Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Video: Ford shows off 2013 Shelby GT500's launch control system
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes to the track
- Shelby announces start of production of the GTS
- Video: Meet the engineers behind the 2013 Shelby GT500
- New Product: Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust System for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500
- Shelby announces expansion of 2011 GT350 lineup with automatic, naturally aspirated versions
- SEMA 2013: Galpin Auto Sports goes blue with widebody Shelby GT500
- MGW announces details, pricing for its new Shelby GT500 shifter
- First 2012 Shelby GT350 nets $137,500 at Barrett-Jackson