Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Ultimate Shelby GT500 Super Snake to debut at Detroit Auto Show
- SEMA 2013: Classic Recreations shows off Coyote-powered 1967 Shelby GT500CR
- eBay Find: Black-on-Black 2012 Shelby GTS
- Video: 1966 Shelby GT350 vs Microcar drag race
- Shelby announces turbo package for 2005-2009 Mustang GTs
- 2013 Shelby GT350 reviewed by Autoblog
- Video: Motor Trend pits the 2011 Shelby GT500 against the Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R
- One-off 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake sells for record $1.3 million at Mecum
- Historic 1965 Shelby GT350 R up for auction in January
- Shelby to unveil 800 horsepower 2012 GT500 Super Snake at New York Auto Show