Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Classic Recreations to offer Shelby GT350CR model
- New Product: K&N Cold Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500
- Shelby announces turbo package for 2005-2009 Mustang GTs
- Shelby to unveil fastest Mustang yet at New York Auto Show
- Photo Gallery: 2012 Shelby GT500
- Barrett-Jackson 2014: Mint 1968 Shelby GT500KR Convertible nets $308,000
- Shelby unveils 2012 GT350 with new colors, convertible option
- Video: Hot Rod Magazine test drives the 2011 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 hits the racetrack
- Shelby to unveil new Mustang at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show