Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Abundance of Shelby Mustangs set for Barrett-Jackson's 2013 Scottsdale auction
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT Widebody
- Motor Trend tests the 2012 Shelby GTS
- Last classic Shelby GT350 built going under the hammer
- One-off 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake going up for auction in May
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible at the Chicago Auto Show
- Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
- 2012 Shelby 1000 revealed ahead of official New York debut
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GTS Widebody
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 0-60 mph in 3.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec @ 126 mph