Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Photo Gallery: First production Shelby 1000 Widebody
- Ford, Barrett-Jackson to auction off last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible for charity
- The top 10 Shelby Mustangs of all time
- Shelby to unveil 2012 GT350 at the Chicago Auto Show
- Special 2013 Shelby GT500 to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Custom 2013 Shelby GT500 raises $150,000 for the Henry Ford Hospital
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake prototype debuts in Monterey
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Deep Impact Blue
- Shelby to unveil fastest Mustang yet at New York Auto Show