Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- New Product: Ford Racing FR3 Handling Pack for the 2011 Shelby GT500
- SEMA 2010: Corsa announces 2011 Shelby GT500 exhaust system
- Mecum to auction rare 1965 Shelby GT350 Prototype
- SEMA 2013: Manny Galvan's 1,000 horsepower 2013 Shelby GT500 Widebody
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Low mileage, original 1967 Shelby GT500 sells for $192,500
- Shelby unveils 2012 GT350 with new colors, convertible option
- SEMA Preview: 1000 horsepower widebody Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Spy Photos: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible caught testing with quad exhaust tips
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000
- Video: 2011 Shelby GT500 laps Virginia International Raceway