Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Video: Watch the Shelby GT500 hit 190 mph on the Autobahn
- Second production 2011 Shelby GT350 to be auctioned for charity
- Photo Gallery: 2010 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Road & Track gives inside perspective on the 2013 Shelby GT500's Nürburgring testing
- 1965 Shelby GT350 barn find to go up for auction at Barrett-Jackson in January
- Video: 2011 Shelby GT500 laps Virginia International Raceway
- Photo Gallery: Ford Mustangs at the 2012 LA Auto Show
- Video: First 2013 Shelby GT500 in the 9s
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 0-60 mph in 3.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec @ 126 mph
- Shelby announces official details for 2010-2014 Mustang widebody kit