Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM's Arizona auction
- Shelby GT350 Convertible Widebody to cross the block at Barrett-Jackson in Las Vegas
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Low mileage, original 1967 Shelby GT500 sells for $192,500
- 1965 Shelby GT350 barn find to go up for auction at Barrett-Jackson in January
- Photo Gallery: Black-on-Black 2013 Shelby GT350
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
- Ford, Barrett-Jackson to auction off last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible for charity
- Shelby GT500 Super Snake to star in 'Getaway' movie, win your own in sweepstakes
- Shelby donating 2014 GT500 Super Snake package for cancer research
- Shelby releases 2010-2011 parts catalog