Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 1965 Shelby GT350 barn find sells for $385,000
- Shelby Mustangs at the 2009 Coronado Speed Festival
- Shelby to raffle 2011 GT350 prototype for charity
- Ford officially announces 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible
- 2009 Shelby GT500KR owned by Carroll Shelby going up for auction
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: 1965 Shelby GT350 once owned by Ford sells for $242,000
- A tour of Classic Recreations, home of the Shelby GT500CR
- Ford releases official details on 2011 Shelby GT500 including new aluminum block V8