Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Yacht company proposes Shelby GT500 Super Snake Wagon
- 2013 Shelby GT500 reviews hit the web
- Production of first Shelby 1000 begins in Las Vegas
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes to the track
- 1969 Shelby GT500 once owned by Carroll Shelby going up for auction
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- Shelby to unveil new Mustang at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Supercharged 1967 Shelby GT350 sells for $135,300
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible debut confirmed for Chicago Auto Show