Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- Reggie Jackson's 1965 Shelby GT350 going up for auction
- New Product: JLT Super Big Air Intake for the 2010+ Shelby GT500
- Ford, Barrett-Jackson to auction off last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible for charity
- Shelby to once again partner with Hertz for rent-a-racer Mustang?
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Low mileage, original 1967 Shelby GT500 sells for $192,500
- One-off 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake sells for record $1.3 million at Mecum
- Shelby president John Luft on the development of the Shelby 1000 and the future of Shelby Mustangs
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Video: This amazing, functional Shelby GT500 is built entirely out of Legos
- SPEED TV announces winner of Ford Racing Champions Shelby GT500