Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- 2013 Shelby GT350 reviewed by Autoblog
- Shelby completes first production 2011 GT350s, ready to deliver to customers
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 2013 Shelby GT500 durability car raises $300,000 for charity
- Photo Gallery: Classic Recreations Shelby GT500CR in Candy Apple Red
- MGW previews its new shifter for the Shelby GT500
- Video: Road & Track gets sideway in the 2012 Shelby 1000
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Very first 1967 Shelby Mustang nets $165,000
- 2013 Shelby GT500 with 600+ horsepower in the works?