Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
The Ford Mustang has a long history of serving as a police vehicle, most notably with the SSP (Special Service Package) Fox Body Mustangs built between 1982 and 1993. While Ford doesn’t produce a Mustang specifically for law enforcement today, that doesn’t stop local police departments from still using them for undercover duty. Perhaps our favorite Mustang cop car, though, is the Saleen S302 that played the part of “Barricade” in the movie Transformers.
Is there a place for a modern day Mustang police car package? Apparently the folks over at Shelby don’t think the idea is too far-fetched and have come up with a rendering of a vehicle they call the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept. “Over the years we’ve had some police departments inquire about having Shelby make modifications to the Ford Mustang for pursuit purposes,” said Robert Lane of Shelby Performance Parts. No details are given about the performance specifications of the car – we’re imagining a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 under the hood – but the car comes complete with Highway Patrol graphics and the requisite law enforcement equipment including a lightbar, push bar and flood lights.
Would you like to see the Shelby GTS Police Interceptor made a reality or do speeders need more of a fighting chance? Let us know your thoughts below.
[Source: Team Shelby]
- These are the new Shelby Mustangs that will be unveiled in Detroit
- Shelby announces expansion of 2011 GT350 lineup with automatic, naturally aspirated versions
- Shelby wrapping up production of 427 Super Snake and 40th Anniversary packages for the GT500
- Video: Motor Trend pits the 2011 Shelby GT500 against the Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R
- Ford to launch Shelby GT350 model in 2016, Mach 1 returning as well
- Shelby to open new headquarters in Las Vegas later this year
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- Shelby GTS officially announced at New York Auto Show
- SEMA 2010: Galpin Auto Sports shows off custom widebody 2011 Shelby GT500
- Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM's Arizona auction