1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
The ultra-rare 1965 Shelby GT350R is perhaps the most coveted and valuable of all Shelby Mustangs with just 34 built. They rarely come up for sale, and when they do they can command near-seven figure prices. The car you see pictured here is one such example, selling yesterday at the RM auction in Monterey, CA for an incredible $990,000. The auction estimated the GT350R’s price tag to be between $900,000 and $1,300,000, meaning someone got a fairly good deal on a historic Mustang.
The Shelby GT350R that was sold, chassis number SFM5R106, is one of the most original examples in existence with less than 4,900 miles and the original engine and transmission. Originally owned by Richard Jordan, the car was raced in Midwestern SCCA national events until the early 1970s. After its racing career the car was placed into storage until 1986 when it was purchased and restored. Since that time the car has been perfectly maintained and is very original down to its plexiglass and magnesium wheels. The original Shelby American paperwork including invoices, titles, racing photos and more remains with the car.
You can see photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at the RM auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Final Roush P-51A Mustang Auctioned Off for Charity for $135,000
- Roush Barrett-Jackson Edition Mustang prototype auctioned off for $100,000
- 1965 Shelby GT350 Drag Unit sells for $350,000 at auction
- Final 50 Year Limited Edition 2015 Mustang to be auctioned off for charity
- Rare 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet going up for auction
- 1994 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Indy Pace Car with 24 miles going up for auction
- Hurst Mustang Convertible Pace Car auctioned off for charity at Barrett-Jackson
- Impressive Ford Mustang collection going up for auction in August
- 1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R with 600 miles going up for auction
- SR-71 Mustang sells for $375,000 at EAA AirVenture auction