1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
The ultra-rare 1965 Shelby GT350R is perhaps the most coveted and valuable of all Shelby Mustangs with just 34 built. They rarely come up for sale, and when they do they can command near-seven figure prices. The car you see pictured here is one such example, selling yesterday at the RM auction in Monterey, CA for an incredible $990,000. The auction estimated the GT350R’s price tag to be between $900,000 and $1,300,000, meaning someone got a fairly good deal on a historic Mustang.
The Shelby GT350R that was sold, chassis number SFM5R106, is one of the most original examples in existence with less than 4,900 miles and the original engine and transmission. Originally owned by Richard Jordan, the car was raced in Midwestern SCCA national events until the early 1970s. After its racing career the car was placed into storage until 1986 when it was purchased and restored. Since that time the car has been perfectly maintained and is very original down to its plexiglass and magnesium wheels. The original Shelby American paperwork including invoices, titles, racing photos and more remains with the car.
You can see photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at the RM auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Barrett-Jackson 2014: 1965 Shelby GT350 sells for $374,000
- 2011 Shelby GT350 auction raises $200,000 for charity
- 2009 Shelby GT500KR owned by Carroll Shelby going up for auction
- Unique 2014 Mustang Cobra Jet prototype sells for $200,000 at Barrett-Jackson
- Quartet of Calypso Coral Boss Mustangs going up for auction
- Hurst Mustang Convertible Pace Car auctioned off for charity at Barrett-Jackson
- Ford, Barrett-Jackson to auction off last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible for charity
- Original owner reunites with '65 Mustang Convertible at auction
- Mint 1968 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $330,000 at Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach
- 1965 Shelby GT350 Drag Unit sells for $350,000 at auction