1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
The ultra-rare 1965 Shelby GT350R is perhaps the most coveted and valuable of all Shelby Mustangs with just 34 built. They rarely come up for sale, and when they do they can command near-seven figure prices. The car you see pictured here is one such example, selling yesterday at the RM auction in Monterey, CA for an incredible $990,000. The auction estimated the GT350R’s price tag to be between $900,000 and $1,300,000, meaning someone got a fairly good deal on a historic Mustang.
The Shelby GT350R that was sold, chassis number SFM5R106, is one of the most original examples in existence with less than 4,900 miles and the original engine and transmission. Originally owned by Richard Jordan, the car was raced in Midwestern SCCA national events until the early 1970s. After its racing career the car was placed into storage until 1986 when it was purchased and restored. Since that time the car has been perfectly maintained and is very original down to its plexiglass and magnesium wheels. The original Shelby American paperwork including invoices, titles, racing photos and more remains with the car.
You can see photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at the RM auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Impressive Ford Mustang collection going up for auction in August
- Custom 2011 Mustang sells at Barrett-Jackson for $91,000
- One-off 'School Bus Yellow' Mustang Boss 302 auctioned off for $300,000
- Winningest 1965 Shelby GT350R to be sold at RM's Amelia Island auction
- Rare 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet going up for auction
- Mint 1968 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $330,000 at Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach
- 1965 Shelby GT350R going up for auction later this month
- Last classic Shelby GT350 built going under the hammer
- Photo Gallery: Ford Mustangs at RM's 2013 Monterey auction
- 2011 Shelby GT350 auction raises $200,000 for charity