1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
The ultra-rare 1965 Shelby GT350R is perhaps the most coveted and valuable of all Shelby Mustangs with just 34 built. They rarely come up for sale, and when they do they can command near-seven figure prices. The car you see pictured here is one such example, selling yesterday at the RM auction in Monterey, CA for an incredible $990,000. The auction estimated the GT350R’s price tag to be between $900,000 and $1,300,000, meaning someone got a fairly good deal on a historic Mustang.
The Shelby GT350R that was sold, chassis number SFM5R106, is one of the most original examples in existence with less than 4,900 miles and the original engine and transmission. Originally owned by Richard Jordan, the car was raced in Midwestern SCCA national events until the early 1970s. After its racing career the car was placed into storage until 1986 when it was purchased and restored. Since that time the car has been perfectly maintained and is very original down to its plexiglass and magnesium wheels. The original Shelby American paperwork including invoices, titles, racing photos and more remains with the car.
You can see photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at the RM auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2012 MustangsDaily.com
- Mustang FR500S with turnkey race package to be auctioned off at Barrett-Jackson for charity
- One-of-one Blue Angels Mustang GT to be auctioned off at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh
- Rare 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet going up for auction
- Parnelli Jones' 1969 Boss 302 Trans-Am Mustang going up for auction
- 1969 Shelby GT500 once owned by Carroll Shelby going up for auction
- The top ten most expensive Ford Mustangs sold at auction
- 1965 Shelby GT350 Paxton Prototype sells for $572,000 at RM's Monterey auction
- Ford, Barrett-Jackson to auction off last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible for charity
- All original, unrestored 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 sells for $550,000 at Mecum
- Galpin Auto Sports building custom Boss 429-inspired Mustang for charity