Vaughn Gittin Jr. maintains Formula Drift points lead with podium finish in Las Vegas
This past weekend in Las Vegas Vaughn Gittin Jr. captured his third straight podium finish to maintain the overall Formula Drift points lead with just one event left in the year. The third place finish, following his two wins in New Jersey and Seattle, put him 25.5 points clear of the nearest competitor – 473 vs 447.50. With fellow Falken Tire and Ford Mustang driver Justin Pawlak winning the first two events of the year, it also means that a Mustang has been on the podium for every competition in 2012.
This isn’t the first time that a Ford Mustang driver has been in contention for the Formula Drift championship going into the final event of the season. In 2010 Gittin had a commanding lead after Round 6, eventually beating out Tanner Foust for the championship, and last year Justin Pawlak was 12.75 points behind first place ahead of the final final event, eventually missing out on a championship by less than six points.
So what will it take for Gittin to wrap up the Formula Drift championship? Another third place finish, earning him 78 points, will do the trick. If any of other contenders get knocked out after the first round it will also guarantee Gittin his second championship. Of course, a win would cap off the year nicely as well.
You can watch a video of Gittin in action at the Las Vegas Formula Drift event below.
- Formula Drift Preview: Justin Pawlak and his Falken Tire Ford Mustang
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. hoping to compete at X Games next year
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. claims first Formula Drift victory of the year in New Jersey
- Ford announces sponsorship deal with Formula Drift
- Vaughn Gittin Jr.'s Mustang to be powered by a Ford Racing 5.4L V8 for the 2011 season
- Justin Pawlak wins Formula Drift opener in Long Beach for second straight year
- Photo Gallery: A closer look at Vaughn Gittin Jr's new Formula Drift Mustang RTR
- Vaughn Gitten Jr. Takes First Formula Drift Win with His Falken Tires / Ford Racing Mustang
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Justin Pawlak finish 2nd and 4th in Formula Drift championship
- Vaughn Gittin Jr's Formula Drift Mustang now available as an RC car