Vaughn Gittin Jr. maintains Formula Drift points lead with podium finish in Las Vegas
This past weekend in Las Vegas Vaughn Gittin Jr. captured his third straight podium finish to maintain the overall Formula Drift points lead with just one event left in the year. The third place finish, following his two wins in New Jersey and Seattle, put him 25.5 points clear of the nearest competitor – 473 vs 447.50. With fellow Falken Tire and Ford Mustang driver Justin Pawlak winning the first two events of the year, it also means that a Mustang has been on the podium for every competition in 2012.
This isn’t the first time that a Ford Mustang driver has been in contention for the Formula Drift championship going into the final event of the season. In 2010 Gittin had a commanding lead after Round 6, eventually beating out Tanner Foust for the championship, and last year Justin Pawlak was 12.75 points behind first place ahead of the final final event, eventually missing out on a championship by less than six points.
So what will it take for Gittin to wrap up the Formula Drift championship? Another third place finish, earning him 78 points, will do the trick. If any of other contenders get knocked out after the first round it will also guarantee Gittin his second championship. Of course, a win would cap off the year nicely as well.
You can watch a video of Gittin in action at the Las Vegas Formula Drift event below.
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. kicks off 2013 Formula Drift season with 2nd place finish at Long Beach
- Justin Pawlak claims first podium of the season with second place finish in New Jersey
- Justin Pawlak finishes fourth in 2014 Formula Drift season opener
- Justin Pawlak makes it 2-for-2 with Formula Drift win in Atlanta
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. claims first Formula Drift victory of the year in New Jersey
- Photo Gallery: A closer look at Vaughn Gittin Jr's new Formula Drift Mustang RTR
- Video: Ride along with Justin Pawlak as he qualifies 1st in New Jersey
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. captures debut win in his 2011 Monster Energy / Falken Tire Ford Mustang
- Vaughn Gittin earns sixth place finish with debut of his 2010 Mustang
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. hoping to compete at X Games next year