It’s official: The Ford Mustang is coming to Europe
In their continuing quest for a global lineup of vehicles, Ford announced today that the Mustang is officially coming to the European market. The news doesn’t come as a surprise, as it has long been rumored that the next generation 2015 Mustang will be built on a global platform and marketed internationally with a new futuristic design, a new independent rear suspension and the option for a four-cylinder engine. Ford even started to subtly market the Mustang in Europe this past summer, showing off the 2013 Shelby GT500 at events like the Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Le Mans Classic.
“We heard it here first – Mustang, the American icon, is coming to Europe!” said president and CEO, Ford Motor Company, Alan Mulally at the “Go Further” event in Amsterdam earlier today. “We will have more details to share in the future. One thing we can say for sure what has made Mustang such a sensation in the U.S. for nearly 50 years soon will be enjoyed by customers in Europe.”
“You only have to look at the incredible response to Mustang when it has appeared this summer at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, in the U.K., and at the Le Mans Classic, in France, to get a sense of the excitement this American icon generates across Europe,” said Stephen Odell, group vice president and chairman and CEO of Ford of Europe. “The Mustang is uniquely Ford and has a huge fan base here in Europe. Now those fans have something to look forward to and we look forward to providing more details in the near future,” he added.
You can see a video of the official announcement below.
- CarBuzz.com offers up latest batch of 2015 Ford Mustang renderings
- 2015 Mustang to share 2.3-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder with Focus RS?
- The 2015 Ford Mustang could be 400 pounds lighter
- 2015 Ford Mustang face revealed in new spy photos
- 2015 Ford Mustang rendered by Popular Hot Rodding
- New report suggests 2015 Mustang four-cylinder to be available in U.S. after all, will be more powerful than the V6
- Spy Photos: 2015 Mustang interior revealed
- Ford announces more details about 2015 Mustang's December 5th reveal date
- Photo Gallery: 2015 Ford Mustang debuts in Los Angeles
- 2015 Ford Mustang to get 2.3-liter EcoBoost 4-cylinder with 310 horsepower?