2013 Shelby GT500’s supercharged V8 makes Ward’s 10 Best Engines list
Ward’s Auto has released their annual “10 Best Engines” list for 2013, and the Shelby GT500’s new 5.8-liter supercharged V8 made the list. In its 19th year, the list awards engines available in production vehicles on sale in the U.S. market. For the latest award the vehicles must be on sale within the first quarter of 2013 and comes with a base price of less than $55,000. This is the third straight year an engine in the Mustang’s lineup has been on the list – in the previous two years the Mustang GT’s and Boss 302’s 5.0-liter V8 were awarded the honor.
The inclusion of the GT500’s engine in the 10 Best Engines list is impressive, as it’s the only V8 to win the award – the other winners include five 4-cylinder engines and four 6-cylinder engines – and features the largest displacement by more than two liters. It’s also easily the most powerful at 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque, allowing the GT500 to top out at an impressive 202 mph. Despite the impressive performance, the 2013 GT500 still manages an impressive 15/24 mpg.
Interestingly, of the 11 electric and hybrid vehicles tested, none of the powertrains made the list. “When hybrids and EVs have been on the list previously, it was because they were revolutionary and compelling,” WardsAuto World Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter says. “If next-generation EVs and hybrids raise the bar beyond the current Toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt, then we’ll be happy to recognize them.”
[Source: Ward’s Auto]
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Red Candy
- SPEED TV to give away custom 2013 Shelby GT500 during Barrett-Jackson
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody
- Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM's Arizona auction
- MGW announces details, pricing for its new Shelby GT500 shifter
- Shelby GT350 Convertible Widebody to cross the block at Barrett-Jackson in Las Vegas
- 1966 Shelby GT350 SCCA B-Production Race Car nets $159,500 at RM auction
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000
- Shelby officially unveils Anniversary Edition Mustangs
- New Product: Ford Racing FR3 Handling Pack for the 2011 Shelby GT500