2013 Shelby GT500’s supercharged V8 makes Ward’s 10 Best Engines list
Ward’s Auto has released their annual “10 Best Engines” list for 2013, and the Shelby GT500’s new 5.8-liter supercharged V8 made the list. In its 19th year, the list awards engines available in production vehicles on sale in the U.S. market. For the latest award the vehicles must be on sale within the first quarter of 2013 and comes with a base price of less than $55,000. This is the third straight year an engine in the Mustang’s lineup has been on the list – in the previous two years the Mustang GT’s and Boss 302’s 5.0-liter V8 were awarded the honor.
The inclusion of the GT500’s engine in the 10 Best Engines list is impressive, as it’s the only V8 to win the award – the other winners include five 4-cylinder engines and four 6-cylinder engines – and features the largest displacement by more than two liters. It’s also easily the most powerful at 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque, allowing the GT500 to top out at an impressive 202 mph. Despite the impressive performance, the 2013 GT500 still manages an impressive 15/24 mpg.
Interestingly, of the 11 electric and hybrid vehicles tested, none of the powertrains made the list. “When hybrids and EVs have been on the list previously, it was because they were revolutionary and compelling,” WardsAuto World Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter says. “If next-generation EVs and hybrids raise the bar beyond the current Toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt, then we’ll be happy to recognize them.”
[Source: Ward’s Auto]
- Video: 1966 Shelby GT350 vs Microcar drag race
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: 1965 Shelby GT350 once owned by Ford sells for $242,000
- Rare 1970 Shelby GT500 going up for auction at Barrett-Jackson
- One-off Shelby GT500s to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson for charity
- Motor Trend tests the 2011 Shelby GT350 prototype, hits 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds
- SEMA 2012: JF Kustoms 1967 Shelby GT500 "Kardiac"
- Shelby announces Super Snake package for 2011 GT500 with up to 800 horsepower
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 1965 Shelby GT350 barn find sells for $385,000
- Shelby, Ford to Continue Building the GT500KR in 2009
- Live photos of the 2011 Shelby GT500 from the Chicago Auto Show