2013 Shelby GT500’s supercharged V8 makes Ward’s 10 Best Engines list
Ward’s Auto has released their annual “10 Best Engines” list for 2013, and the Shelby GT500’s new 5.8-liter supercharged V8 made the list. In its 19th year, the list awards engines available in production vehicles on sale in the U.S. market. For the latest award the vehicles must be on sale within the first quarter of 2013 and comes with a base price of less than $55,000. This is the third straight year an engine in the Mustang’s lineup has been on the list – in the previous two years the Mustang GT’s and Boss 302’s 5.0-liter V8 were awarded the honor.
The inclusion of the GT500’s engine in the 10 Best Engines list is impressive, as it’s the only V8 to win the award – the other winners include five 4-cylinder engines and four 6-cylinder engines – and features the largest displacement by more than two liters. It’s also easily the most powerful at 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque, allowing the GT500 to top out at an impressive 202 mph. Despite the impressive performance, the 2013 GT500 still manages an impressive 15/24 mpg.
Interestingly, of the 11 electric and hybrid vehicles tested, none of the powertrains made the list. “When hybrids and EVs have been on the list previously, it was because they were revolutionary and compelling,” WardsAuto World Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter says. “If next-generation EVs and hybrids raise the bar beyond the current Toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt, then we’ll be happy to recognize them.”
[Source: Ward's Auto]
- Shelby releases new details, photos for the 2013 GT500 Super Snake
- Shelby announces Super Snake package for 2011 GT500 with up to 800 horsepower
- Shelby GT500 will continue past 2014 as part of next generation Mustang lineup
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 burnout
- Video: This amazing, functional Shelby GT500 is built entirely out of Legos
- President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 "sick"
- Second production 2011 Shelby GT350 to be auctioned for charity
- Live photos of the 2011 Shelby GT500 from the Chicago Auto Show
- Shelby to debut new Mustang at LA Auto Show
- 2012 Shelby GT500 tops Forbes' list of fastest cars under $50,000