Shelby to unveil EcoBoost-powered car at Detroit Auto Show?
Shelby announced today that they have big plans for 2013 with lots of new projects planned for the upcoming year. Vice President Gary Patterson says that the company will make debuts at both the Detroit Auto Show in January and New York Auto Show in April, and while he doesn’t specifically say what will be unveiled, he does provide a clue. On the Shelby American web site Patterson states “2013 will be a big year for Shelby as we unveil projects in Detroit and in New York- so get ready! While I can’t talk about any Detroit details now, I will quote Carroll from last year.” That quote? “I think you’re going to see the industry going completely to small engines with turbochargers. That’s the only way you can get the mileage that the government is going to be demanding.”
So what does this mean? The obvious interpretation is that Shelby will be introducing a car with EcoBoost power for the very first time. A likely candidate is the Focus ST with its 2.0L turbocharged inline-4 that produces 252 horsepower and 270 lb-ft torque in factory-spec. A more unlikely, although more appealing scenario in our opinion, is that Shelby could transplant an EcoBoost motor, either a four-cylinder or six-cylinder into a Mustang.
We’re guessing that Shelby will be mum on details until they officially make the announcement until January. Until then, stay tuned…
[Source: Shelby American]
- Video: Is this the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost?
- Turbocharged four-cylinder Mustang to make a return in 2015?
- How Ford will push sales of the 2015 Mustang EcoBoost and discourage buying the V6
- First ride impressions of 2015 Mustang EcoBoost hit the web
- Spy Photos: Is this the new turbocharged EcoBoost Mustang?
- 2015 Ford Mustang to get 2.3-liter EcoBoost 4-cylinder with 310 horsepower?
- Ford executives confirm EcoBoost Mustang rumors
- 2015 Mustang's EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine specs previewed in new Lincoln MKC
- Exclusive photos of the 2015 Ford Mustang's EcoBoost engine
- Photo Gallery: Black-on-Black 2013 Shelby GT350