Home » Videos

Video: Watch National Geographic Channel’s full 45 minute Megafactories episode on the Ford Mustang

By Drew Phillips - January 7, 2013 – 9:10 am6 Comments | 2,405 views

Ever wonder how the Ford Mustang gets built? Here’s your chance to find out. The National Geographic Channel recently chose the Mustang for its Megafactories series, highlighting the production of America’s favorite pony car at Ford’s facility in Flat Rock, MI, and the full 45 minute episode has been published on YouTube.

The video follows how a Mustang is built from initial stamping where 20 ton steel coils are pressed into the Mustang’s body panels, to the body shop where 300 robots make nearly 3,000 welds, to the paint shop, to final assembly. The episode even provides an inside look at Ford’s private proving grounds in the desert of Arizona and much, much more.

By watching the video you’ll also learn some interesting facts about Mustang production. For example, did you know there are 4,000 individual part numbers for the car? Or that 680 Mustangs are built every day?

If that sounds interesting, just hit the play button below.

• Ericc B says:

Great documentary but I hated watching it because of the ridiculous editing.

Enjoyed that. Especially the GT, Boss and GT500 hooning around the test facility :)

• Jim Dektas says:

I’m a loyal Mustang GT buyer for over 25 years and it was great to finally see how my 2013 Mustang GT was made. I thought the video was great and really liked the team work from the Ford employees. The most amazing thing for me was the 27 miles of the paint line and how it takes (10 hours). Great Video !

Rubbish editing,spoilt an otherwise good story.

• Ed says:

Next time get an American to talk about an american made car made by Americans, not some English guy .

• mike schneider says:

I was disappointed when I clicked on the run button only to find the video does not exist. boo whoo. I’d love to find it if you can help…please. thanks, mike.