Barrett-Jackson 2013: Johnny Sparks’ Reversion Mustang sells for $61,600

By - January 18, 2013 – 11:01 am7 Comments | 4,144 views

Johnny Sparks Reversion Mustang

We first saw Johnny Sparks’ Reversion Mustang at SEMA back in 2011, and the hand-built creation was one of our favorite cars of the show. The then-23-year-old had not only managed the difficult task of taking a 2011 Ford Mustang and clad it with a mix of 1968 and 1969 body panels, but he did it well. Since then the car has gone on a national tour and been in magazines and television shows, all leading up to its sale at Barrett-Jackson.

We have no doubt that Johnny had high hopes for the sale of his Mustang, which crossed the block last night, so the final selling price of $61,600 had to be somewhat disappointing. Given the hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of hours of work that went into the Mustang, it would undoubtedly cost well over six figures to replicate the car. We hope it doesn’t discourage Johnny too much, though, and we hope we see more of his creations in the near future.

Vehicle Description:

The Reversion Mustang originated out of an idea to create a car with the nostalgic styling of the ’68 fastback, but with the performance, handling, luxury and dependability of the new 2011 Mustang GT. Over the course of nine months, a brand new 2011 GT was carefully stripped of its exterior and replaced with severely modified reproduction sheet metal from a ’68 Mustang fastback. The entire car is built out of sheet metal, and many pieces such as the quarter extensions, rocker panels and head light buckets are built from scratch. Pieces were expertly designed, fabricated, and butt welded to perfection. Every panel has been modified, but the car still retains all of the interior, glass, weather stripping, lights, electronics and drive train of the 2011 Mustang. The car spent the last 10 months traveling the United States in its primer red finish astonishing onlookers and journalists alike. The car was showcased at the 2011 SEMA show, featured in 5.0 Mustang magazine, Hot Rod magazine and various other magazines over the past year. Recently the car just received its custom blue grey gloss finish and was unveiled at the 2012 SEMA show. It will be featured on SPEED channel, and will also appear on an episode of Car Crazy with Barry Meguiar. It has also been photographed for Modified Mustang magazine and will appear in print in the coming months. This car has 5000 original miles on it and drives down the road and seals up just like it did off of the dealer lot. The car can confuse even the most knowledgable Mustang owner. From the outside it looks like a ’68 fastback, not until they see the modern interior and engine do they realize this is actually a new Mustang. Additional features include 6-piston Baer brakes with 14″ drilled and slotted rotors, Forgeline DE3P rims with Toyo Proxes tires, JLT CAI and custom stainless exhaust.

Photos © 2013 MustangsDaily.com

It’s a real shame that didn’t sell for me. A genuine work of art. Seems Johnny Sparks is a bit of a young Chip Foose. Lets hope we see a lot more of his work :)

Sell for MORE….not sell for ME LOL!

• shy.tack says:

Saw this at Barrett Jackson and talked to one of the guys working in that display, and he said Sparks was a nervous wreck after that. Poor guy. Such a beautiful…no…awesome work of automotive art. All the stylings of the 60s and all the tech of the 21st century. Brilliant idea auto makers need to capitalize on.

Hope he continues despite this.

• Santos L Halper says:

This is the direction the 2015 should go in……not a genesis or other forgein car

• Doug Kielian says:

yes no doubt the car should have brought six figures and may have been on it’s way, I was there right behind the car on stage with John (I was videoing taping), and another bid was coming in just as the gavel came down! The chances you take when going on stage like this with something so fresh, new and exciting!! most people could not believe what they were seeing, (was it an old Mustang? or was it a new? custom? or what??) They were just now learning about this truly special car. Peter Brock legendary automotive designer certainly did, and was on hand to help promote the car by appearing on stage and speaking about it, for the past year or so I had been keeping Peter informed about the car thru emails and pictures (see Classic Motosports magazine Sept 12 issue pg 20), and he loved what he was seeing!
    I think everyone was also a bit shocked to learn that it was built by a 22 year-old farm kid in Nebraska/Colorado. Created with my help in teaching him how to design & forge out the conception at Auto Kraft in Lincoln, Nebraska, were John got his start learning the craft of metal work. Our shop Auto Kraft is also known for the Short Wheelbase T-Birds from the early 90′s and a very unique looking Chop Top 89 Mustang GT that is widened as well, along with many other custom built Mustangs over the years and restored creations that Johnny Sparks was exposed to as well as the home body and paint shop for Twenty two years of the late Mustang race Champion “Paul Brown”. Who John got to work with on occasion.

The on air time of the REVERSION Mustang was also interrupted on TV by the Batmobile while the cameras were focused on that legendary car they missed the the Mustang driving up on stage and comments of Peter Brock mentioning the talents of John and the build of the car. I to missed the opportunity to properly promote the car, it’s design, build and execution by a very determined and talented young craftsmen…. Johnny Sparks, due to so many other obligations going on in my life. I trained John and many more before him at my shop Auto Kraft in Nebraska but it takes a special talent, desire, determination and passion to endure building something like this and John was the that special person so I helped to make it happen by setting aside a heavy work load at my shop to help him design and build the REVERSION Mustang. I have no children of my own but any of the young trainees at our shop get our full attention and opportunity to shine, and shine John DID! We are so proud of his accomplishments not only this one of a kinda concept Mustang but all his past jobs and for helping me develop and promote the Roller Hoop rotisserie. Even though the Mustang did not break the bank in money terms, it broke the bank in terms of human determination to proves that if you dream it and believe you can can do it then give it your all and the outcome will be wroth the effort. Johnny Sparks made Mustang History with the build of the REVERSION MUSTANG, taking what was offered by one of the largest manufactures in the world and and improving upon it’s looks in a way that is awe-inspiring, in a small shop in the Heartland! I have talked with John and he of course discouraged about the price, but I also told him that he created a high water mark in Mustang history that is truly a great achievement! and it will take a while for the rest of the Mustang world to catch up to the uniqueness of his creation.

I told John to watch the Movie Tucker and get back after it………… Expect to see more REVERSION MUSTANGS in your future you just need to pick the color you want!

Great Job all the way thru Sparks

Doug Kielain
    Auto Kraft body and paint
    Lincoln, Nebraska

• I want my car to be a REVERSION Mustang! Johnny picked the pefect model year to imitate and improve on with the modern touches as well.

• Drew Timm says:

I couldn’t have said it better Doug! Being the New PROUD
    Owner of Johnny’s “Piece of Art” makes me one happy guy! The more I
    look at what he created in this car, the more I appreciate the
    talent that Johnny has. I told him that night at BJ that he is on
    his way to being one of the best young automotive talents we have
    seen for a long time. Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington came to mind.
    I look forward to seeing what his next creation is. For now I’ll be
    proudly enjoying every minute behind the wheel of Johnny’s “One of
    a Kind” Reversion Mustang!! Thanks Johnny for your talents! Drew -