Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM’s Arizona auction
Earlier this month we told you about a rare 1965 Shelby GT350R going up for auction, the second time in less than six months that one of the rare vintage Mustang race cars has come up for sale. However, unlike the previous GT350R, which was sold by RM Auctions back in August in Monterey for an incredible $990,000, this latest car failed to meet its reserve price. The pre-auction estimate on the car was between $750,000 and $950,000, so the high bid of $730,000 wasn’t enough to convince the current owner to let go of his prized possession.
The GT350R itself is in immaculate condition, having been most recently restored in 2000 and just under 10,000 miles on the odometer. The car features many of its original parts including its sheet metal, although the original engine was swapped out at some point. A proper specification Hi-Po 289ci V8 was offered with the car, although a 347 stroker V8 currently resides under the hood.
You can see more photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at RM’s Arizona auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2013 MustangsDaily.com
- Ford to auction first 2016 Shelby GT350R for charity
- 1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
- 1965 Shelby GT350R added to RM's auction in Monterey
- Ford reveals 2016 Shelby GT350R, the most track-capable Mustang ever built
- Ford officially announces 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible
- Shelby completes first production 2011 GT350s, ready to deliver to customers
- A tour of Classic Recreations, home of the Shelby GT500CR
- 2011 Shelby GT350 to serve as pace car for NASCAR Las Vegas race
- SPEED to give away custom Shelby GT500 as Hagerty Fantasty Bid grand prize during Barrett-Jackson
- Shelby Mustangs at the 2009 Coronado Speed Festival