Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM’s Arizona auction
Earlier this month we told you about a rare 1965 Shelby GT350R going up for auction, the second time in less than six months that one of the rare vintage Mustang race cars has come up for sale. However, unlike the previous GT350R, which was sold by RM Auctions back in August in Monterey for an incredible $990,000, this latest car failed to meet its reserve price. The pre-auction estimate on the car was between $750,000 and $950,000, so the high bid of $730,000 wasn’t enough to convince the current owner to let go of his prized possession.
The GT350R itself is in immaculate condition, having been most recently restored in 2000 and just under 10,000 miles on the odometer. The car features many of its original parts including its sheet metal, although the original engine was swapped out at some point. A proper specification Hi-Po 289ci V8 was offered with the car, although a 347 stroker V8 currently resides under the hood.
You can see more photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at RM’s Arizona auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2013 MustangsDaily.com
- Ford to auction first 2016 Shelby GT350R for charity
- Ford reveals 2016 Shelby GT350R, the most track-capable Mustang ever built
- 1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
- 1965 Shelby GT350R added to RM's auction in Monterey
- New Product: Vortech Maxflow Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake for the Shelby GT500
- 1968 Shelby GT500 sells for $137,500 at Barrett-Jackson
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- eBay Find: Black-on-Black 2012 Shelby GTS
- 2009 Shelby GT500KR owned by Carroll Shelby going up for auction
- Ford releases official details on 2011 Shelby GT500 including new aluminum block V8