Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM’s Arizona auction
Earlier this month we told you about a rare 1965 Shelby GT350R going up for auction, the second time in less than six months that one of the rare vintage Mustang race cars has come up for sale. However, unlike the previous GT350R, which was sold by RM Auctions back in August in Monterey for an incredible $990,000, this latest car failed to meet its reserve price. The pre-auction estimate on the car was between $750,000 and $950,000, so the high bid of $730,000 wasn’t enough to convince the current owner to let go of his prized possession.
The GT350R itself is in immaculate condition, having been most recently restored in 2000 and just under 10,000 miles on the odometer. The car features many of its original parts including its sheet metal, although the original engine was swapped out at some point. A proper specification Hi-Po 289ci V8 was offered with the car, although a 347 stroker V8 currently resides under the hood.
You can see more photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at RM’s Arizona auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2013 MustangsDaily.com
- 1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
- 1965 Shelby GT350R added to RM's auction in Monterey
- 2013 Shelby GT500 reviews hit the web
- Video: Motor Trend pits the 2011 Shelby GT500 against the Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: One-off 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra raises $200,000 for charity
- First annual Carroll Shelby Tribute and Car Show announced for next month
- Shelby donating 2014 GT500 Super Snake package for cancer research
- Photo Gallery: Ford Mustangs at the 2012 LA Auto Show
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody
- New Product: Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust System for the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500