Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM’s Arizona auction
Earlier this month we told you about a rare 1965 Shelby GT350R going up for auction, the second time in less than six months that one of the rare vintage Mustang race cars has come up for sale. However, unlike the previous GT350R, which was sold by RM Auctions back in August in Monterey for an incredible $990,000, this latest car failed to meet its reserve price. The pre-auction estimate on the car was between $750,000 and $950,000, so the high bid of $730,000 wasn’t enough to convince the current owner to let go of his prized possession.
The GT350R itself is in immaculate condition, having been most recently restored in 2000 and just under 10,000 miles on the odometer. The car features many of its original parts including its sheet metal, although the original engine was swapped out at some point. A proper specification Hi-Po 289ci V8 was offered with the car, although a 347 stroker V8 currently resides under the hood.
You can see more photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at RM’s Arizona auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2013 MustangsDaily.com
- 1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
- 1965 Shelby GT350R added to RM's auction in Monterey
- Video: Lethal Performance's 2013 Shelby GT500 sets new record with 9.39 second 1/4 mile run
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GTS Anniversary Edition
- 1966 Shelby GT350H race car to cross the block in Monterey
- SR-71 Mustang sells for $375,000 at EAA AirVenture auction
- RK Motors debuts custom 1967 Shelby GT500 RK527
- Shelby American Collection raffling off 2014 Shelby GT500
- 1965 Shelby GT350 barn find to go up for auction at Barrett-Jackson in January
- Shelby GT returns for 2014 as post-title package with up to 624 horsepower