Rare 1965 Shelby GT350R fails to meet reserve at $730,000 at RM’s Arizona auction
Earlier this month we told you about a rare 1965 Shelby GT350R going up for auction, the second time in less than six months that one of the rare vintage Mustang race cars has come up for sale. However, unlike the previous GT350R, which was sold by RM Auctions back in August in Monterey for an incredible $990,000, this latest car failed to meet its reserve price. The pre-auction estimate on the car was between $750,000 and $950,000, so the high bid of $730,000 wasn’t enough to convince the current owner to let go of his prized possession.
The GT350R itself is in immaculate condition, having been most recently restored in 2000 and just under 10,000 miles on the odometer. The car features many of its original parts including its sheet metal, although the original engine was swapped out at some point. A proper specification Hi-Po 289ci V8 was offered with the car, although a 347 stroker V8 currently resides under the hood.
You can see more photos of the 1965 Shelby GT350R at RM’s Arizona auction in the gallery below.
Photos © 2013 MustangsDaily.com
- 1965 Shelby GT350R sells for $990,000 at RM auction
- 1965 Shelby GT350R added to RM's auction in Monterey
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 burnout
- Shelby GT returns for 2014 as post-title package with up to 624 horsepower
- Shelby announces final specs, 624 horsepower "R" tune option for 2011 GT350
- Second production 2011 Shelby GT350 to be auctioned for charity
- Video: Road & Track gets sideway in the 2012 Shelby 1000
- Shelby GTS Police Interceptor Concept imagined
- 2013 Shelby GT500 reviews hit the web
- Photo Gallery: Galpin's latest widebody Shelby GT500 shows off classic paint scheme