Independent test of 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake results in 10 second 1/4 mile times
With 850 horsepower on tap from its supercharged 5.8-liter V8 the 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake has the potential to compete with some of the top supercars in the world, but whether the car can put all that power to use is another question. Shelby is out to prove that it can, and have announced that the 2013 GT500 Super Snake has achieved ten second quarter mile times using street legal tires and pump gas. A recent test session, which was done by an independent driver at Bradenton Motorsports Park in Bradenton, FL, resulted in several mid-10 second passes including a best time of 10.66 seconds at 137 mph using Nitto NT5550R street tires.
“The 2013 Super Snake’s impressive quarter mile test numbers, using pump gas and street tires, ranks it among the fastest production cars available,” said John Luft, president of Shelby American. “But it’s more than just raw power and ridged track performance. Owners can drive this car every day with its docile and comfortable ride in normal traffic situations.”
After the test the independent driver stated that, “the 2013 Super Snake is one of the most amazing Mustangs we’ve driven and is the fastest and most responsive Mustang we’ve tested to date. It makes every bit of the advertised 850 horsepower, and we put it to the test on the track. It produced a series of mid-10-second runs at over 135 mph, which is staggering performance for a 50-state-legal, emission compliant vehicle.”
The independent tester added that, “with a drag race setup the Super Snake would likely produce quarter mile runs in the nine second range, yet it maintains all the comfort and features of any new Shelby. Even the Launch Control worked flawlessly. Clutch actuation is smooth and precise and the suspension provides enhanced performance without sacrificing ride quality.”
- Motor Trend tests the 2011 Shelby GT350 prototype, hits 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds
- 1965 Shelby GT350 Paxton Prototype sells for $572,000 at RM's Monterey auction
- Photo Gallery: 1968 Shelby EXP 500 "Green Hornet"
- Ford officially announces 2010 Shelby GT500 with 540 horsepower
- Video: Meet the engineers behind the 2013 Shelby GT500
- A look inside the 2013 Shelby GT500's 650 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8
- Video: Motor Trend pits the 2011 Shelby GT500 against the Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R
- New Product: Ford Racing FR3 Handling Pack for the 2011 Shelby GT500
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: 1967 Shelby GT500E Super Snake nets $154,000