Drew Skillman wins second annual Cobra Jet Showdown at Bradenton
The second annual NMRA Cobra Jet Showdown presented by Jackie Jones Ford was once again held at Bradenton Motorsports Park in sunny Bradenton, Florida. The 2013 season-opening Cobra Jet showdown is always a good race as many Cobra Jet owners use it as a shakedown event for the NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida. Twenty two Cobra Jets were on the property running in seven different index classes.
Leading the qualifying pack in the 9.95 index class was Livonia, Michigan engine builder Chris Holbrook, with an astounding 8.504 second pass at 160 miles per hour. This qualifying pass was the quickest and fastest NHRA stock eliminator legal Cobra Jet pass to date. For the 2013 season, Holbrook shelved his reliable 5.4L engine and is running the new 5.0L Ti-VCT Supercharged Cobra Jet engine with impressive results. Following close behind Holbrook was Mike Harris from Telford, PA. This was Mike’s first race in his 2013 Cobra Jet since wrecking the new car last year at Cecil County Dragway. Over the winter Mike had the car repaired and is ready to compete at select NHRA and NMRA events in 2013. While Harris is still learning the 2013 car, in eliminations he managed to beat Chris Agee in round one and Frank Maiolo in round two before losing to Holbrook in round three.
In the 9.3 index class Rand Hopkins had an impressive qualifying run of 8.236 seconds at 149 miles per hour. Randy is a past NHRA National Event winner with his 2010 Cobra Jet but he lost in the first round to Bo Butner’s new 428-powered 2013 Cobra Jet.
On the other side of the ladder Drew Skillman defeated his grandfather Ray Skillman (first round), Gary Richard (second round) and Bo Butner (third round) to meet Holbrook in the Cobra Jet Showdown finals. Skillman chopped down the tree on Holbrook and took the win light on a holeshot victory.
The next NMRA Cobra Jet Showdown will be held June 14-16th at the NMRA Nationals in Norwalk Ohio.
[Source: Ford Racing, Photos: NMRA]
- Video: JPC Racing's 2011 Mustang sets new record with 8.02 second quarter mile pass
- Video: Burnout contest goes awry at NMRA/NMCA All Star Nationals
- Modular Depot Turbocharged S197 Mustang runs 8.99 sec @ 154 mph
- Video: Evolution Performance 2011 Mustang does wheel stand at NMRA finals
- New Product: NMRA Coyote Stock Sealed 5.0L V8 Crate Engine
- NMRA to host Terminator/GT500 Shootout in Maryland
- 2011 NMRA West Coast Shootout
- NMRA announces new Coyote Stock class for 2012
- 2011 Nitto Tire NMRA Spring Break Shootout at Bradenton Motorsports Park
- Saleen Speedlab / Brenspeed race car to debut at NMRA Spring Break Shootout