Video: Evolution Peformance first to run 8s with 2013 Shelby GT500
Last year Evolution Performance became the first to run a 2013 Shelby GT500 in the 9s, setting the benchmark with a 9.95 second pass at 142 mph at Atco Raceway in New Jersey. Now the shop in Aston, PA has once again reset the mark with an astounding 8.94 second run, becoming the first to drop below the nine second mark in 2013 Shelby GT500. Making the feat even more impressive is that the Grabber Blue Shelby’s stock 6-speed manual transmission is still in place.
So what does it take to build an eight second Shelby GT500? A fully built 5.8L V8 from L&M Race Engines and tuned by Lund Racing is now under the hood, with the stock 2.3L supercharger swapped out for a Kenne Bell 3.6L liquid-cooled unit running just under 23 pounds of boost. In total, Evolution Performance’s Shelby produces 1,156 horsepower and 1,078 lb-ft torque at the rear wheels. All of that power runs through a Spec twin-disc clutch and aluminum flywheel as well as a FAB 9-inch rear end, and a set of Mickey Thompson ET drag slicks wrapped over Weld RT-S wheels help put it to the ground.
Want to see the Shelby’s eight second pass for yourself? Just click the play button below and enjoy the video in up to 1080 HD.
- Video: Jay Leno drives the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible and 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R together represent 20 years of SVT
- SEMA Preview: 1000 horsepower widebody Shelby GT500 Super Snake
- Inside Line takes the 2013 Shelby GT500 on a cross-country road trip
- Ultimate Shelby GT500 Super Snake to debut at Detroit Auto Show
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Anniversary Edition
- 2013 Shelby GT500: 0-60 mph in 3.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec @ 126 mph
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Order Guide
- Photo Gallery: 2012 Shelby GT500