Cobra to replace Shelby GT500 for next generation SVT Mustang?
At the New York Auto Show back in 2012 we spoke to Shelby president John Luft who gave us some insight into the future of the company and future products. He assured us that Shelby and Ford has renewed their contract and would be working together for the coming years. “The contract [with Ford] has been extended, and we have a long-term vision for our relationship,” he told us. “It has been extended through 2015 and beyond.”
Luft went on to say that it didn’t make sense for Ford to discontinue the Shelby GT500 for the next generation Mustang with the success of the current model. “When something works you just don’t change it,” he said. “Clearly, having a Shelby in their stable as their halo car has really worked for them. Ford Motor Company loves it, their dealers love it, and we love it.”
That might not be the case, though, according to RoadandTrack.com. The web site says that they have it on good authority that the next generation SVT Mustang will drop the Shelby name. “Don’t be surprised if it [the next SVT Mustang] drops the Shelby moniker,” they state. “Word is, it’ll still have a name you’re familiar with, though. Our money’s on Cobra.”
The web site also predicts that the next-gen SVT Mustang will drop the supercharger and go naturally aspirated. Perhaps a high-revving 5.8-liter V8 like the one we wanted in our wishful 2014 Ford Mustang Boss 351? Let’s hope so.
- 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible makes debut at Chicago Auto Show
- SVT chief: The Boss 302 was the motivation for the 2013 Shelby GT500, not the Camaro ZL1
- Video: Jay Leno drives the 2013 Shelby GT500
- SEMA 2011: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Widebody
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes to the track
- Video: 2013 Shelby GT500 takes on the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Video: Watch the Shelby GT500 hit 190 mph on the Autobahn
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Shelby GT500 in Deep Impact Blue
- Video: Durability testing the 2013 Shelby GT500 with Carroll Shelby
- President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 "sick"