Cobra to replace Shelby GT500 for next generation SVT Mustang?
At the New York Auto Show back in 2012 we spoke to Shelby president John Luft who gave us some insight into the future of the company and future products. He assured us that Shelby and Ford has renewed their contract and would be working together for the coming years. “The contract [with Ford] has been extended, and we have a long-term vision for our relationship,” he told us. “It has been extended through 2015 and beyond.”
Luft went on to say that it didn’t make sense for Ford to discontinue the Shelby GT500 for the next generation Mustang with the success of the current model. “When something works you just don’t change it,” he said. “Clearly, having a Shelby in their stable as their halo car has really worked for them. Ford Motor Company loves it, their dealers love it, and we love it.”
That might not be the case, though, according to RoadandTrack.com. The web site says that they have it on good authority that the next generation SVT Mustang will drop the Shelby name. “Don’t be surprised if it [the next SVT Mustang] drops the Shelby moniker,” they state. “Word is, it’ll still have a name you’re familiar with, though. Our money’s on Cobra.”
The web site also predicts that the next-gen SVT Mustang will drop the supercharger and go naturally aspirated. Perhaps a high-revving 5.8-liter V8 like the one we wanted in our wishful 2014 Ford Mustang Boss 351? Let’s hope so.
- President Obama calls the 2013 Shelby GT500 "sick"
- Car & Driver gets a ride in the 2013 Shelby GT500
- 1968 Shelby GT500 sells for $137,500 at Barrett-Jackson
- Photo Gallery: Ford releases new images of the 2013 Shelby GT500
- Shelby ending 2005-2014 Mustang production with GT500 Super Snake Signature Edition
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 2013 Shelby GT500 durability car raises $300,000 for charity
- Ford details 2013 Shelby GT500's new launch control system
- 2013 Shelby GT500 certified at 662 horsepower and 630 lb-ft torque
- Motor Trend puts the 2013 Shelby GT500's 200 mph top speed to the test
- SPEED TV to give away custom 2013 Shelby GT500 during Barrett-Jackson