Ford to launch Shelby GT350 model in 2016, Mach 1 returning as well
Last week we reported that Ford might be dropping the Shelby GT500 in favor of the SVT Cobra for the next generation Mustang, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Shelby name will be disappearing from the Ford lineup. According to our sources inside Ford, the company will introduce a Shelby GT350 model for 2016, a year after the next generation Mustang is launched for 2015. The big news is that the car will be an official Ford factory model, similar to the current Shelby GT500, and unlike the current GT350 model that is only a post-title package available directly from Shelby. Details about the 2016 Shelby GT350 are understandably scarce at the moment, but we hear it will be more of a stripped-down performance car just like in 1965, and expect it to be more affordable than the current model, which starts at just over $58,000.
Another legendary moniker will be returning to the Mustang lineup in the near future as well, with our sources indicating that the Mach 1 is slated to be introduced as early as 2017. The Mach 1 name was last used a decade ago with a limited production run from 2003-2004, with the car featuring an aluminum block 32-valve 4.6-liter V8 producing 305 horsepower as well as a host of other performance upgrades compared to the base Mustang GT including front 13-inch Brembo brakes, Tokico shocks and stiffer springs. The look of the car was decidedly retro, with a function shaker hood scoop, unique 17-inch 5-spoke wheels and 1960s-style “comfortweave” leather seats.
Details about the new Mach 1 are few and far between at this point, but we look forward to the model making an appearance in the Mustang lineup once again and will share any news about the car as soon as we hear any updates.
- Shelby GT350 to be featured at 2015 Monterey Motorsports Reunion
- Photo Gallery: Shelby Mustangs at the 2011 Monterey Motorsports Reunion
- Photo Gallery: 2016 Shelby GT350 at the LA Auto Show
- Mecum to auction rare 1965 Shelby GT350 Prototype
- 2013 Shelby GT350 makes first public appearance at Monterey Motorsports Reunion
- Photo Gallery: Black-on-Black 2013 Shelby GT350
- Photo Gallery: See the first 2013 Shelby GT350 built from start to finish
- Photo Gallery: 2016 Shelby GT350
- Photo Gallery: Shelby GT350 Anniversary Edition
- 2013 Shelby 1000 previewed ahead of New York Auto Show debut