Ford to launch Shelby GT350 model in 2016, Mach 1 returning as well

By - June 19, 2013 – 8:06 am15 Comments | 21,962 views

Shelby GT350 graphics

Last week we reported that Ford might be dropping the Shelby GT500 in favor of the SVT Cobra for the next generation Mustang, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Shelby name will be disappearing from the Ford lineup. According to our sources inside Ford, the company will introduce a Shelby GT350 model for 2016, a year after the next generation Mustang is launched for 2015. The big news is that the car will be an official Ford factory model, similar to the current Shelby GT500, and unlike the current GT350 model that is only a post-title package available directly from Shelby. Details about the 2016 Shelby GT350 are understandably scarce at the moment, but we hear it will be more of a stripped-down performance car just like in 1965, and expect it to be more affordable than the current model, which starts at just over $58,000.

Ford Mustang Mach 1 graphicsAnother legendary moniker will be returning to the Mustang lineup in the near future as well, with our sources indicating that the Mach 1 is slated to be introduced as early as 2017. The Mach 1 name was last used a decade ago with a limited production run from 2003-2004, with the car featuring an aluminum block 32-valve 4.6-liter V8 producing 305 horsepower as well as a host of other performance upgrades compared to the base Mustang GT including front 13-inch Brembo brakes, Tokico shocks and stiffer springs. The look of the car was decidedly retro, with a function shaker hood scoop, unique 17-inch 5-spoke wheels and 1960s-style “comfortweave” leather seats.

Details about the new Mach 1 are few and far between at this point, but we look forward to the model making an appearance in the Mustang lineup once again and will share any news about the car as soon as we hear any updates.

• Carl says:

I been waiting for a real Mach 1 since 1973!!!

• Tina says:

So looking forward to this and if it looks like the 71-73 I am going into debt!!!

• Alexander says:

So the GT350 will return to slay the Z/28 and the ZL1. Mach 1 returning as well. Wonder which engine will be used in the Mach1.

• Howie says:

@ Alexander, the GT350 sounds like the successor to the Boss and not a direct Z/28 competitor which is fine by me, the Z/28 may hold the title of best track weapon for a pony car but it overshot the mark with its LS7 and carbon ceramic brakes making it an odd duck rendering unable to compete within a regular series.

• Dan Nigro says:

Lets get one thing striaght. I am a Shelby Mustang owner and let me tell you when thing are great Ford and Shelby America are busom buddies but the nminute there’s a issue with a car they imediatly seperate themstelves like estranged siblings. I had a big issue with my 08 Barrett-Jackson Shelby mustang and to this day the problem still exisites. When Shelby failed to fix the problem over and over again I contacted Ford for some help. i was told it was a Shelby issue and they didn’t even want to assist me in mediating with Shelby requarding thier falue. Be careful when buying a Shelby product they are a big corporation that will tell you to take a hike if they can’t fix a problem and Ford couldn’t care less. Unless you have a great laywer your screwed. Should have stayed a Chevy man and bought the Corvette instead.

• Dan says:

Carl, real mach 1? Really? So big middle finger to the 03-04 machs? But an entirely new model on a different chassis is ok?

• stangman65 says:

Dan Nigro, you should learn the difference of a product made by ford and called a Shelby, and what you have, a product of Shelby American. Takng that car to a Ford dealer is no different than taking a Chevy to a Ford dealer.

• Johnnie says:

Carl, I love the older 60-70 Machs too, and maybe you’re not real informed, but the 03-04 Mach 1 will decimate the old Machs in all performance categories…especially the tank-like 71-73s! :)

• EL SHELBY says:

Dan Nigro, while I know nothing of your specific situation, I can tell you that any issues I have had with my 08 SGT (stripes, scoop, and ball joints) where all quickly address by Ford and Shelby America, but the vehicle was under warranty. The problem with the SGT’s like yours and mine is that many Ford Dealers included Ford Service are uneducated on the car as so few were built. There are several threads and excellent info on Team Shelby providing specifics.

stangman65, you are half right. All of the pre-title Shelby’s (Shelby GT’s and GT500 KR’s) are fully fledged Ford Products and are subject to all of Ford’s Warranties and all warranty work was handled by Ford, however, Shelby America does/did process the warranties for those modification done by Shelby America. Post-title cars (Super Snakes, GT350′s, etc.) are Shelby Products and all modifications are covered by Shelby’s warranties and not Ford.

• Aaron says:

Yeah, screw us 03-04 Mach guys right…. my Mach will be payed off by then! Perfect timing to be getting a new car. So stoked.

• robert says:

The 03-04 did not have aluminum blocks, they were iron. They do have forged aluminum pistons and the cams come off the heavy duty trucks. Mine satisfies that cadillac commercial taunt – it turns me on EVERY time I start it up! BTW, ford says 305 HP, my chrono said 280 at the wheel unmodded. No lie! I routinely dusted the 305 hp GTs from 05 to 2011. It’s kinda fun to watch their mouths gape in my rear view mirror.

mmm,some interesting comments.don’t suppose it’ll look like either of the two previous Mach 1′s.

• Doug says:

Flat plane crank shaft?????

• Cameron says:

By far the best looking Mach 1′s were the 71-72 with the hockey stripe. The problem was by the time they were produced everyone had moved on to gas savers. Not many of those era left. I always thought of them as the Muscle Car Mustang.

• Steve says:

Robert,

I have an 04 Mach I and it has an aluminum engine block as are all true Mach I’s from the factory. The true horsepower of the aluminum 4.6-liter, DOHC V-8 engine with 4 valves at each cylinder is more than 305. If you purchased yours used, someone may have added the stripes and emblems and you got the shaft. Does yours have the shaker hood with the opening for the air intake? The Mach I engine is very easy to distinguish from the standard 4.6 liter cast iron block and heads. The aluminum heads are very large to have room for the dual overhead camshafts.