1966 Shelby GT350H race car to cross the block in Monterey
Many of the 1966 Shelby GT350H Hertz rental cars saw some time at the track – hence the car’s nickname “Rent-A-Racer” – but few have probably been raced as much as this example here that is set to be auctioned off by RM at their Monterey, CA sale next month. One of the original 1,001 produced, this GT350H was sold to its first owner in 1966 or 1967 after completing its rental duties and was converted to a track car. In 2003 the GT350H was acquired by Cobra Automotive in Wallingford, CT who spent the next two years restoring and fine-tuning the race car.
While the standard Shelby GT350H is fairly potent with its 306 horsepower 289ci V8, this race car is an absolute beast fitted with a custom built 296ci high compression V8 with a BLP 750 CFM Winston Cup race carburetor and an Edelbrock Victor custom-ported intake manifold. In total the V8 produces 572 horsepower and 450 lb-ft torque. The Shelby is also fitted with a race-prepared Jericho transmission, billet Super Hurst shifter, Ford 9-inch rear end, a complete Cobra Automotive front and rear competition suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. The exterior features deep red paint highlighted by gold stripes and R-model-style American Racing wheels, while the interior is purposefully designed with a Kirkey aluminum racing seat with a five-point harness, an R-model-style dashboard and gauges and Plexiglas in the front and rear windows.
Want this 1966 Shelby GT350H race car for yourself? RM estimates it will take anywhere from $150,000 to $200,000 to be the top bidder. We’ll let you know what it goes for and have more pictures of the car next month, but until check out the car in detail in the gallery below.
[Source: RM Auctions, Images: Neil Fraser]
- One-off Roush Stage 3 Mustang raises $100,000 for charity at auction
- 1965 Shelby GT350 Paxton Prototype sells for $572,000 at RM's Monterey auction
- Blue Angels Mustang sells at auction for $400,000
- 1965 Shelby GT350R going up for auction later this month
- Second production 2011 Shelby GT350 to be auctioned for charity
- SR-71 Mustang sells for $375,000 at EAA AirVenture auction
- Final Roush P-51A Mustang Auctioned Off for Charity for $135,000
- Matching Ring Brothers Mustangs going up for auction at Barrett-Jackson
- Quartet of Calypso Coral Boss Mustangs going up for auction
- Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson