Roush Performance Mustang Boss 302R captures podium finish at Indy
The Roush Performance team of Jack Roush Jr. and Billy Johnson kicked off the 2013 Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge season in style, winning the season opener at Daytona in their No. 61 Mustang Boss 302R. Since then they’ve had a rough go of it, though, finishing in the top ten just once in the last five races. The duo has definitely been fast enough to be front runners, but a mix of bad luck and mistakes have put the team near the back of the back.
That changed this past weekend as the No. 61 Mustang Boss 302R captured a second place finish at the Brickyard Sports Car Challenge at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. After qualifying in eighth the team worked their way up to second place with just a few laps left, but an incident brought out the caution flag and the race ended under the yellow flag. The second Roush Peformance team of Joey Atterbury and Shelby Blackstock also had an excellent race, finishing in sixth place in the No. 51 Mustang Boss 302R.
Despite the strong finish Roush Jr. and Johnson still have a ways to go to climb back up the leaderboard. They sit in eighth place in the drivers’ standings while Roush Performance is ninth in the team standings. They’ll have their chance in less than two weeks when both Roush teams head to Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI for the next Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race.
- Video: Watch the disastrous start to last weekend's Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race
- Photo Gallery: Ford Mustang Boss 302Rs at Barber Motorsports Park
- Multimatic Motorsports Mustang Boss 302R on pole for tomorrow's Grand-Am race at Lime Rock
- Roush Performance shows off Mustang Boss 302R race car with new 2013 bodywork
- Mustang Boss 302R takes first ever Grand-Am victory at Barber 200
- Video: The Multimatic Motorsports Mustang Boss 302R laps Daytona
- Multimatic Motorsports Mustang Boss 302R finishes second in Grand-Am 200
- Multimatic's Scott Maxwell discusses the progress of the Mustang Boss 302R race car
- Roush Performance Mustang Boss 302R claims third Grand-Am victory of the season at New Jersey
- Roush Performance wins Grand-am season finale at Lime Rock Park